ianjbennett

Default Jane Goldingay/John Showell

I have found a Jane Goldingay in my family tree, she was my great grand mother born in the Water Orton area of Birmingham in approximately 1870. She late married a John Showell and moved to Himley, Staffordshire for John to become the blacksmith for the Earl or Dudley. Rumour has it he drowned in a well in about 1920. If anyone can fill in any aspects of this thread it would be much appreciated.
    Along similar lines one of the daughters of John showell and Jane Showell (nee goldingay) went on to marry a John Bennett whose Mother died two months after Johns birth in approximately 1901. Johns sister Jane Bennett died aged approximately 10 however we cannot find a death certificate.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by ianjbennett View Post
    I have found a Jane Goldingay in my family tree, she was my great grand mother born in the Water Orton area of Birmingham in approximately 1870. She late married a John Showell and moved to Himley, Staffordshire for John to become the blacksmith for the Earl or Dudley. Rumour has it he drowned in a well in about 1920. If anyone can fill in any aspects of this thread it would be much appreciated.
    Could this be John?
    December quarter 1921, Dudley registration district, volume 6b, page 1023, John Showell, aged 52

Welcome to Brit-Gen

ianjbennett

Thanks very much for the information, you may have noticed I am new to the site having found it by accident. Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Jan1954

If you order a copy of the certificate from the GRO, quoting the reference given, it should arrive within a couple of weeks and, if this is the correct John and he did drown, it may well say that there was a coronor's inquest.

The next stage could be to find a write-up in the local paper of the day as they will quite often contain more detail than an inquest report.