Thread: Help

Dom2

Default Help

Hi tech wizards,

I cannot log into Brit Gen via the Comodo Dragon browser. I have never experienced any problems before and have emptied my cache cookies etc.

When logging in I receive the following message :

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/login.php on this server.

Apache/2.2.15 (Red Hat) Server at www.british-genealogy.com Port 80

I can however log in via Firefox so it's not a disaster just annoying as I have to switch browsers.

Any ideas, work-arounds etc

Thanks in advance
    Dom2

Hello Dom2

I don't understand techie stuff so I have no idea why you are having this problem but I have made our very tech savvy bloke aware of your post and when he comes on I am sure he will get back to you with some productive answers/solutions.
    Christanel

Dom2

Thanks Christanel, I've just logged into Brit Gen via Comodo Dragon on my laptop running vista no problems but on my desktop running windows 7 i receive the forbidden message. I have an inkling of what a server is and I am fairly certain i do not have one. I was able to access site on desktop 2 nights ago but since then i've been forbidden. A mystery but not a disaster. i look forward to any clues from tech savvy bloke.

thewideeyedowl

Hi Dom2

I have not had any problems logging in here using Comodo Dragon on this laptop, which is running Windows 7. (Don't have a desktop, so can't answer that part of the question.)

Re: server. Don't worry about this. A server is, I believe, a sort of 'master computer/hard drive' where the digital stuff is stored by organisations. Your ISP will have servers. FWR, which runs this site, will have servers. You get the drift? You won't have one because you do not need one. If an organisation's servers are very busy, because a lot of users are accessing info on/from them all at the same time, then they might crash. This is the sort of thing that happens, say, when new census data is released - we pounce like hyenas! - or when Olympic tickets first go on sale. (Now I will wait for a techie to correct me on this.)

By the way, nice to meet someone else who uses Comodo Dragon - had thought I was the only one out there.

Must swoop off,

Wideeyed Owl

I'm running a Windows 7 desktop, I downloaded Comodo Dragon browser to test and it has let me log in. I'm posting this message using Dragon on Windows 7. It doesn't seem to be a general issue with Dragon, but perhaps a combination of factors that you've been unlucky enough to run into.

Are you able to access any other parts of the forums using Dragon - I'm curious to know if it's only the login page or all pages which aren't working for you. If it is just the login page, would you be able copy the full URL from the address bar and either paste it here in a reply or send it to me in a PM please? I just want to check if there's possibly a faulty link on the site somewhere that you've found. Thanks!

Hi again,

Ok I think I've figured out the problem.

Could you please check a setting for me? If you click the "Customise and Control" button, go to the bottom of the settings page and click "Show advanced settings", then look for the option "Do not allow websites to know where you came from (suppress HTTP Referrer header)" - if that's ticked, you won't be able to log in.

We've recently added new security measures to the forums to protect our genuine members from automated spam systems and malicious users. One of the security measures is that when someone logs in, we check the "Referrer" information to ensure they're a genuine user of the forums. If you've unticked the setting which allows Dragon to send the "Referrer" information, you'll be blocked from logging in. The same would happen with any browser and any version of Windows, Linux, MacOS etc if you chose to disable sending "Referrer" information.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Simon; 23-08-2013 at 7:25 AM. Reason: correcting typo

Dom2

Thanks Simon that has fixed the problem.

You're welcome, glad to be able to help.

Thank you Simon for finding the solution to Dom2's problem which I have copied and pasted in to my desk top folder - 'Computer Fixes'
    Now I just have to remember it is there.

Christanel