Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    elliott

Default Elliott family in Frome

Hi folks! I'm looking for info on the Elliot(t) family in Frome around 1785. I know Joseph Elliott was baptised in the fall of 1784, son to William Elliott and Rachel Obourn. They were married 27 Nov 1780 at St. John the Baptist and had quite a few children. Joseph left the Somerset Militia and at age 20 became a Royal Marine in Portsmouth. He was at Trafalgar on board the Brittania and I have his pay logs and all but I can't find anything on his parents and where they came from. The site that details all the parish records from Frome does not list their births so I assume they migrated there. I have found a William Elliott in the 1785 Head of Households list and he's a carpenter on Blunt Street but I really can't say if that is the same person. Any ideas on where I can look to find out if it is the same person or maybe where he and Rachel Obourn came from?

Hollytree

There's a baptism of a William at St John's Frome here. Son of Samuel & Hannah, baptised on the same day he was married. https://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Anne

ps, not the same day, same date, different year!
    Last edited by Hollytree; 20-01-2011 at 3:57 PM. Reason: typo error

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could this be Rachel's burial?

• Burial of Rachel ELLETT on 01 Dec 1831 at St John the Baptist, Frome, Somerset. Age 74. Abode: West Woodlands.

Have you considered this ...

• Christening of Rachel OBORN on 28 Jan 1759 at St Leonard, Marston Bigot, Somerset. Parents Tho and Eliz

Both of the above on FreeREG. Marston Bigot is quite close to Frome.

Bertie

Hi elliott - do you have any information from the Militia Records that might indicate where his parents were from?

Bertie

I see that on 28 Sep 1779 a Hannah Obourn married William Dowling at the same church. Is Hannah Rachel's sister? If so, habe you discovered where she was born?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    I see that on 28 Sep 1779 a Hannah Obourn married William Dowling at the same church. Is Hannah Rachel's sister? If so, habe you discovered where she was born?
    There were other children of Thomas and Elizabeth/Betty

18 Jan 1748/49 OBORN James at Frome
    06 Feb 1752 OBORNE Joseph at Frome
    25 Nov 1753 OBRON Georg at Marston Bigot
    09 May 1756 OBORN Hannah at Marston Bigot

There is also a possible marriage for the parents.

Marriage of Thomas OBORNE and Elizabeth WHATLEY on 30 Aug 1747 at St John the Baptist, Frome. Groom and bride both of the parish of Marston.

Bertie

It may well be worth looking at the original parish record for the marriage of William and Rachel to find out whether it mentions anything about where they were from (e.g. 'of this parish' 'of the parish of Marston' etc.) so you can feel more confident about where William in particular comes from. I note that the website that has a lot of the information re. Frome has a contact email address - perhaps it's worth contacting them for any more information (unless you have a local LDS office in Stockholm?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    It may well be worth looking at the original parish record for the marriage of William and Rachel to find out whether it mentions anything about where they were from ..

Marriage of William ELLIOT and Rachel OBOURN on 27 Nov 1780 at St John the Baptist, Frome. Marriage was after banns and they were both of the parish. Witnesses: Willm SELFE, John DEACON.

I agree with Bertie though - it's always good to get hold of a copy of the original, so you can check it.

Children of William and Rachel Elliot?

Christened at Frome.

08 Jun 1782 ELLIOT Hannah
    25 Sep 1784 ELLIOT Joseph
    07 Apr 1787 ELLIOT Betty
    18 Jul 1789 ELLOTT William
    17 Dec 1791 ELLIOTT Pheby
    01 Nov 1794 ELLIOTT Edna
    27 Oct 1798 ELLIOTT Caroline

Bertie

Out of interest: what happened to Joseph? Did he survive Trafalgar and get married? Did he return to Frome or did he settle in Portsea / Portsmouth? Was he still around in 1841?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast