Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maggiemac

Default I can't find Josephs army papers pleas help

I am looking for Joseph Alexander Whitehead (born1866 in Woolwich)army papers.
    I have been on pay to view sites and there is nothing at all to be found for him,
    His three brothers papers are there and I have them.

Joseph was married in India so he must have served there for a time. He was in the Royal Artillery and in the 1881 census he was a trumpeter.

Can you please help me locate his papers.

Many thanks

Maggiemac

Mutley

Sorry, I cannot see him.

I cannot find my own granddads but seeing as many of the records did not survive, it seems to be a luck of the draw, if yours have.

I can see Joseph's birth, baptism and census entries but not a military entry. Sadly, he may be one of those whose records did not survive.

Coromandel

The WO 97 records (what Findmypast call 'Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913') relate to pensioned soldiers so (as I understand it) don't include records of those who didn't qualify for pensions or those who died while in the army.

Many army records are not online so you may need to go to Kew in search of records about Joseph. Have a read of this National Archives' guide to pay books and muster lists.

Muster books and pay lists for 1878-1898 are in WO 16 at Kew. Looking at the National Archives' catalogue there are lots of Royal Artillery records there but arranged by brigade, and within that by date and battery. (For example, WO 16/229 is Royal Artillery, 3rd Brigade S. Battery for 1887-1888). If you don't know Joseph's brigade I don't know where you'd start: I've no idea if there is a way to discover someone's brigade without trawling through these records.

Pre-1878 Royal Artillery records can be found in WO 10, WO 69 and WO 54 according to the same guide. The catalogue will tell you more about these records and how they are arranged. Unfortunately a lot of the records that once were in WO 69 ('chiefly records of services of non-effectives') are believed to have been destroyed in the Second World War.

Maggiemac

Thank you Mutley and Coromandel for you help and time.
    It is appreciated.

Maggiemac

Reputation beyond repute

When you get to the National Archives, go to the reference library first and look at Battery records of the Royal Artillery 1716-1877 by M E S Laws. This will help you to draw up a shortlist of the units that were at Woolwich in April 1881. Then you can get stuck into the pay and muster lists.

There are other places where it might be worth looking but it depends on what else you know about him. You mentioned a marriage for example. Were there children? What do you know about their lives?

Maggiemac

Thank you Peter...Josephs first daughter was born 1891 in Jhansi India...his second daughter was born 1892 in Essex,
    On his second daughter's marriage details it says...father Sergeant Major Middlesex Regiment.
    So perhaps I have got a clue and didnt realise it.
    I am unable to get to Kew,but thank you for the help you have given me about it.

Maggiemac

Reputation beyond repute

perhaps I have got a clue and didnt realise it.
    Yes I'd say that's quite a big clue

jac65

Hi

What year was his second daughters marriage? Given her birth year it could be close to WW1 so it might be worth checking the WW1 Medal Rolls on Ancestry.

Andy

Maggiemac

Many thanks Andy for your help.
    Joseph's second daughter was married in Woolwich in 1919.
    I have looked on the WW1 Medal Rolls as you suggested and there is one Joseph A Whitehead but with only so scant details there,I cant tell if it is him or not....the address bit is blank
    On another of his daughters marriages it says he is..QM Sergeant Middlesex Regiment this was also in Woolwich in 1920.

Thanks again

Maggiemac

SueNSW

If Joseph continued to serve into 1921 or later it is likely his records will still be held by the Ministry of Defence

There is information on how they can be accessed here - https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

The Joseph A Whitehead whose medal card is on Ancestry is unlikely to be yours - he was a Private in the Army Service Corps

As Joseph was around 50 during WW1 - it is quite likely he served only in Britain - in which case he wouldn't unfortunately have been entitled to receive medals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast