Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tullett

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post

There is quite a bit about Henry William in Ancestry’s WW1 service records. He was killed 15 September 1916.
    Do have a look at this.....
    https://
    janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/Pte%20H%20W%20Tullett.html

(One day one of these non-Robert things will turn up trumps!)....

Mutley

While we chat over cyberspace, yours and mine may have chatted over a washing line.
    I hope they did. Though it does not help either of us to find them in the 1891.

Please let us know what the death cert says. I shall keep my fingers crossed.
    What a result for you, if Alice was the informant.
    Though not for poor Mary Ann whose life must have been very tough.

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    While we chat over cyberspace, yours and mine may have chatted over a washing line.
    I hope they did. Though it does not help either of us to find them in the 1891.

Please let us know what the death cert says. I shall keep my fingers crossed.
    What a result for you, if Alice was the informant.
    Though not for poor Mary Ann whose life must have been very tough.
    What a lovely thought Mutley.

Well the death cert has arrived and as with all of this family leaves more questons than answers!

Died 5/7/1937 at 48 Vanburgh Hill 74 year old Robert Tullett. Address 76 Wellington Street, Deptford - a retired dock labourer.

Cause of death Myocardial degeneration by arteris sclerosis..

Now here is where is gets interesting - name of informant C Groves, daughter - 6 Finch House, Bronze Street, Deptford
    registered 8/7/1937.

We know Clara Tullett (baptised as Clara Henley) married Charles Frederick Groves in 1914.

So does that mean after the death of Henry Henley, Mary Ann then returned to her husband - surely she must have for Clara to call Robert Tullett her father?

So is the Robert Zullett a red herring, or did he 'take up' with Alice then return to Mary Ann when Henry died? I suppose we will never know, unless they turn up on the 1921 census as I think I have exhausted all avenues looking for them on the 1911.

Thanks again for all of your help.

ps - 48 Vanbugh Hill was the Greenwich Workhouse/Hospital site.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post

There is a George Charles Tullett, son of Robert and Mary Ann baptised 4/8/1887 at St Nicholas Deptford – address given 154 Watergate Street.

I cannot find Mary Ann (b1866 Deptford) on the 1891 census to confirm if George Charles is her child.

1901 RG13-2190-29-50 George Charles Tullett b1888 Deptford is on the Industrial Training Ship Goshawk in Saltash Cornwall.
    I see from this site....

https://www.
    brucehunt.co.uk/Training%20Ship%20Mount%20Edgcumbe.html

...that "The register books give the reasons for committal, which include; ‘theft’, ‘company of known thieves’, ‘begging and associating with thieves’, ‘truant’, ‘beyond control’, ‘non-attendance at school’. A frequent entry was simply ‘found wandering’. In such cases it might be expected that an adverse entry on the character of the parents would be recorded, yet terms such as ‘sober’ or ‘steady’ frequently appear. Although children under the age of 12 years charged with an impressionable offence could also be sent to an industrial school, children in such schools had not been convicted".

I wonder if the 'register books' would give some information about his parents?

malcolm99

Died 5/7/1937 at 48 Vanburgh Hill 74 year old Robert Tullett. Address 76 Wellington Street, Deptford - a retired dock labourer.

ps - 48 Vanbugh Hill was the Greenwich Workhouse/Hospital site.
    In Ancestry’s London Poor Law records it might be worth searching for Robert Tullett over a period of years in the Greenwich, Hospital and Infirmary, Vanburgh Hill records. From the Indexes 1909-1918 (Image 310) I found this (which could be him) in the “Admission and Discharge” register 1909-1910 (Images 9 & 10):

"Robert Tullett, admitted 11 October 1909, Dock Labourer, Church of England, born 1867....
    From 27 Watergate Street, No Friends....” [Discharged 20.10.09].

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    I see from this site....

brucehunt.co.uk/Training%20Ship%20Mount%20Edgcumbe.html

I wonder if the 'register books' would give some information about his parents?
    This site:
    workhouses.org.uk/trainingships/#MountEdgcumbe

...says that the Mount Edgcumbe records are available here — Plymouth and West Devon Record Office, Unit 3, Clare Place, Plymouth PL4 0JW. Holdings include: accounts, reports, correspondence etc. (1887-1928)

pennydog

Thank you so much - yet again malcolm, your help has been invaluable.

I will contact the Plymouth RO in the morning, it looks like they do have names of boys - not sure any of his family would have been able to write to him! The Bruce Hunt site is really informative.

I have been trying to follow Roberts siblings (4 brothers) through the census and have found Frederick on the training ship Goliath, Grays Essex in 1871, George is in the Southern Metropolitan School with Robert in 1871 - so it looks like trouble and these brothers were good bedfellows. Fred moves to Aberdeen and marries and seems to live a law abiding life there. George too marries and has a family and works as a stevedor again it looks like he then kept on the right side of the law.

James is in the Greenwich workhouse/hospital 1901 & 1911 and I think it is probably this James that is with Robert on the Electoral Rolls in Wellington Street.
    We know that Mary Ann was with her daughter Clara Groves at 11 Benmore Street up to 1934, it must have been a squash as Clara and Charles had 8 children, so it does not look like Mary and Robert never lived as a married couple again.

I will spend tomorrow with the Ancestry London Poor Law Records, as you advised and see what else I can find there.

Plenty more to investigate on this family, thanks to your help.

malcolm99

So does that mean after the death of Henry Henley, Mary Ann then returned to her husband - surely she must have for Clara to call Robert Tullett her father?
    Any credibility that I had with you Pennydog will crumble when you read my controversial theory which is that I’m not sure that we have to assume that Clara was Henry Henley’s daughter even though she was baptised with his name – if Robert was released from prison in 1895 there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be ‘seeing’ Mary Ann while she was living a ‘respectable’ life with/for her children with Henry Henley. They did after all seem to stay in some sort of touch until his death (Clara as informant) and, from what I can make out of the area, if Robert was in Wellington Street from at least 1921 until his death, that really wasn’t very far from Benmore Street.

Perhaps ”she couldn’t live with him, couldn’t live without him....”. (I’m only trying to find some sort of redemption for the man!).

pennydog

Malcolm,

You and I obvious think on the same wavelength. I have not ordered a bc for Clara as I have a very strong feeling that it will say Robert Tullett, and we will never know for certain if this is correct. The only evidence that there is for Henry being the father is the baptismal records of the three girls and that when little Mary Ann died, the death was registered as Henley - that could have been because he registered the death. Looking at the dates of birth for all of the children she has living with Henry Henley, it is feasible that Robert fathered them all!

As an aside Mary Ann Dunn/Tullett had a cousin who was sent to the Macclesfield industrial school - the mother ran off and lived with another man, so it seems it was not that uncommon (well not in my 'lot' in Deptford). It goes along with not being available when the census man called!

For all of his mis-deeds, I have a soft spot for this rogue - we have to think really hard to image just how tough life was in their times.

Will let you know what response I get back from Plymouth.

Sue

malcolm99

1901 RG13-523-172-46 is where I next find Mary Ann Tullett, living as a 'Housekeeper' to Henry Henley, widower b1840 Deptford, a drover, at 106 Prince Street, Deptford.

She has the following children with her:-
    Robert William b1886 (there is a birth reg for Greenwich March qtr 1886 Robert William Tallett)
    Henry William b1893
    James Charles b1893
    Mary Ann b1896
    Annie Rose b1897
    Clara b1899
    All Children registered as Tullet (Greenwich) born Deptford.
    I have found the baptisms of the three girls at St Paul's Deptford with the surname Henley, parents Henry, a drover and Mary Ann, address 106 Prince Street. Mary Ann b1896 dies 1899 with the surname Henley.
    I wonder if I’ve found Annie Rose b.1897

There are 4 girls named Annie Tullett born between 1892 & 1912 in the GRO Birth indexes.

• Annie Eliza born Horsham 1897 is in the 1911 Census: RG14 PN5263 SN131
    • Annie Mabel born Horsham 1897 is in the 1911 Census: RG14 PN5244 SN10
    • Annie Elizabeth born Portsea Island 1898 is in the 1911 Census: RG14 PN558 SN174

This leaves Annie Rose. I’ve come across this message from 2006>
    https://archiver.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BRITISHHOMECHILDREN/2006-04/1144867343

There then has to be a very good chance that this Annie Tullett is yours. I know almost nothing about British Home Children or the 1911 Canadian Census & so I’ll leave it with you – but the Barnardo’s connection seems par for the course with this family.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast