Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ewan

Default 1861 Census Help

Can anyone help me with this Jones family again please?

I have the marriage of a George Jones, waiter/servant in 1857 his wife to be was an Elizabeth Wright. At the time of the marriage they lived at Red Lion Street Clerkenwell, George was aged 30 and Elizabeth 26.

I am trying to find them on the 1861 census if anyone can help, failing that a suitable death registration for Elizabeth 1860 and before, as the George Jones I am looking for married as a widower in the August of 1860.

Many thanks
    Ewan

Mutley

They are not living at 26 Red Lion Street in 1861, that is the home of the Taylor family.

However, if George remarried in 1860 what was the name of wife number 2?
    Do you know where young George was born? (father also George, a servant)

ewan

Thanks Mutley for looking at the address in 1861 and confirming that this particular couple did not live there.

George married an Emily Pigden from Kent, if you need to know more about her I do have her family history.

I don't know where young George was born, it is at the end of the day that I am trying to establish who his parents were, but at the moment I am just going around in circles.

In 1860 on his marriage certificate from St Pancras his occupation was of a servant, his dad was stated as being dead with no occupation entered, in 1861 he was a footman and in 1871 he was a lamp porter.

The marriage to an Elizabeth Wright in 1857 could be my George Jones but I am trying to find a bit more clarification for this. The occupation for the dad of the groom, a servant and the occupation of the groom being a waiter does look promising.

Ewan

Thomasin

Is this the couple you are looking for in 1861?

George Jones 34 Footman b. London
    Emily Jones 22 b. Sydenham (which is in Kent)

29 Warren Street, St Pancras
    RG09; 102; 101; 46 copyright TNA

There are two Elizabeth Jones deaths in Clerkenwell in 1859 - one Elizabeth Ann Jones, the other Elizabeth Horwood Jones.
    Last edited by Thomasin; 28-04-2012 at 1:18 PM. Reason: addition

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    Can anyone help me with this Jones family again please?

I have the marriage of a George Jones, waiter/servant in 1857 his wife to be was an Elizabeth Wright. At the time of the marriage they lived at Red Lion Street Clerkenwell, George was aged 30 and Elizabeth 26.

I am trying to find them on the 1861 census if anyone can help, failing that a suitable death registration for Elizabeth 1860 and before, as the George Jones I am looking for married as a widower in the August of 1860.

Many thanks
    Ewan
    No sorry, the couple that I am looking for is as above.

Ewan

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    No sorry, the couple that I am looking for is as above.
    Yes, but if he married as a widower in 1860, how can you expect to find him with Elizabeth in 1861?

ewan

If the George Jones and the Elizabeth Wright that were married in 1857 can be found on the 1861 census, then it will confirm to me that that particular George Jones is not the one I am searching the parentage of.

Ewan

Mutley

OK, now I understand your reasoning. I don't have Jones in my tree but the Smiths and Browns were just as hard to track.
    You say in post #3
    in 1861 he was a footman and in 1871 he was a lamp porter.
    Do you have the reference for that 1861 please. What is the address?

As regards the death of an Elizabeth Jones, hmmm! could be in Clerkenwell or Finsbury or Islington or even Southwark if the poor lass ended up in a hospital on other side of river!

Mutley

On the marriage certificate for George Jones and Emily Pigden in 1860 the address is given as Warren Street, St Pancras. I have been right through both the St. Pancras and the Clerkenwell Warren Streets.

As Thomasin said at number 29 Warren Street, St. Pancras is,
    George Jones age 34, a footman born London
    Emily Jones, wife, age 22, born Sydenham, Kent.

Are you saying these are not yours?

Mutley

I also looked to see if the witnesses, William and Ann Howard were around but I could not see them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast