Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tullett

pennydog

Default Tullett

Sorry that this is such a long post, but I did not want anyone to waste their time duplicating the info that I have found (please feel free to correct me though).

Robert Tullett b1863 (Greenwich June qtr 1d636)

1871 – RG10-797-119-6 he is in the South Metropolitan Distict School at Epsom

1881 – RG11-171-21-36 he is with his parents in Deptford

11/12/1882 he is sentenced to 2 yrs imprisonment for Larceny, dwelling house.

27/2/1888 he marries Mary Ann Dunn at St Paul's Deptford, both give the address as 5 Stanhope Street (I have all details of Mary Ann prior to her marriage)

28/5/1888 he is sentenced to 7 years imprisonment for Burglary

1891 – RG12-862-104-15 he can be found in HM Convict Prison Portsmouth

I can find no other reference to him at all, after this census. There is a credable death entry for 1937 in Greenwich reg district, age at death being 74 which fits with the 1863 birth, (I do not have the dc).

There is a George Charles Tullett, son of Robert and Mary Ann baptised 4/8/1887 at St Nicholas Deptford – address given 154 Watergate Street.

I cannot find Mary Ann (b1866 Deptford) on the 1891 census to confirm if George Charles is her child.

1901 RG13-523-172-46 is where I next find Mary Ann Tullett, living as a 'Housekeeper' to Henry Henley, widower b1840 Deptford, a drover, at 106 Prince Street, Deptford.
    She has the following children with her:-
    Robert William b1886 (there is a birth reg for Greenwich March qtr 1886 Robert William Tallett)
    Henry William b1893
    James Charles b1893
    Mary Ann b1896
    Annie Rose b1897
    Clara b1899
    All Children registered as Tullet (Greenwich) born Deptford.
    I have found the baptisms of the three girls at St Paul's Deptford with the surname Henley, parents Henry, a drover and Mary Ann, address 106 Prince Street. Mary Ann b1896 dies 1899 with the surname Henley.

1901 RG13-2190-29-50 George Charles Tullett b1888 Deptford is on the Industrial Training Ship Goshawk in Saltash Cornwall.

I have found the marriages of Henry Wm, James Chas. and Clara – all are married as 'Tullet' and give their father's name as Henry Tullett, occ drover.

So where is Mary Ann Tullett on the 1891 census, and where is she and the children on the 1911? There is a death of a Henry Henley Dec qtr 1904 in Southwark age 65.

Mary Ann Tullett dies 1946 Greenwich age 80.

I have tried everything that I can think of to find Mary Ann and children, also Robert Tullett, has anyone any ideas?

Census refs - crown copyright/care of TNA

Mutley

I know that some of that area had parts of the 1891 census missing.
    Some of mine moved in the same circle and I have never been able to find my Margaret ( she was in the same situation as your Mary Ann ) in 1891.

The National Archives does have a list of the parts missing.
    I am not sure if this link will help. You need to know the registration district.
    (Presume Greenwich, St Saviour might also be worth a look?)
    https://yourarchives.nationalarchives...tion_districts

Mutley

TNA, your archives does tell you that
    Watergate Street, 152 Red Cow Public House - RG 12/507 F.58
    Watergate Street, 140-160 even numbers - RG 12/507 F. 57-59

I am still trying to figure it out but I think it says, these pages do not exist for 1891.

P.S. I have found Watergate Street under that reference but cannot see any Tullets
    Last edited by Mutley; 23-04-2012 at 5:47 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Mutley

Both Watergate and Stanhope Street ARE there but the Tullets or anything similar are not.

pennydog

Thanks for looking Mutley. What is it with these Deptford residents? They never leave the area, but move street to street and then just vanish when the census is due.

Robert Tullett is the first criminal that I have found in the 'family' and he is just so ellusive!
    Last edited by pennydog; 23-04-2012 at 7:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Thomasin

Do you have the snippets from the Morning Post of 29th March and 13th June 1888 concerning Robert's nefarious deeds?

pennydog

No Thomasin but I would love to see them, the info I have was gleaned from Ancestry's criminal registers - there are quite a few other Tulletts in them too!

Thomasin

OK -
    The Morning Post 29th March 1888
    GREENWICH
    George Purdie, 64, dealer, of Wellington-street, Deptford, George Pope, 19, and Robert Tullett, 24, labourers, were charged with being concerned in stealing and receiving eight watches, value £14, the property of Elizabeth Urry, pawnbroker. - The evidence showed that on Sunday morning, between 20 minutes past twelve and a quarter past one the place was broken into, and and about 26 watches and other articles, valued at £40, were stolen. Sergeants Francis and Howell went on Tuesday to Purdie's shop, and there found portions of watches. Later, Constable Diball went to the shop, and stopped till Pope and Tullett came. Mrs Purdie then said they were the men who had sold the watches to her husband, and the constable had the doors locked to detain the men until the arrival of assistance. Tullett appeared to have made a desperate attempt to escape, and told Diball he would murder him if he did not move from the door. On the way to the station he said, "I shall get five years for this." It was stated that when Purdie was arrested he said he paid a man £4.10s for, he thought, nine watches, which were very unsaleable just now. He had been in business in Deptford for 40 years. - Mr. Fenwick remanded the prisoners, agreeing to take bail for Purdie.

Coromandel

pennydog, in case you haven't already found them, you can see reports of the trials on Old Bailey Proceedings Online. Also, in the summer of 1888, both Robert and Mary Ann appeared as witnesses at the trial of Walter James Fisher. At that time Robert was in prison (it doesn't say where) but gave his address in March of that year as 35 Watergate Street.

https://www.
    oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18880702-688&div=t18880702-688

pennydog

Thanks you so much for that - he really is a nasty piece of work. This only one month after his wedding (although it looks likely that he had already fathered two children with Mary Ann).

George Pope got 15 months for burglary at the same time as Robert Tullett.

A John Purdie was also tried and aquitted of burglary.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast