Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tullett

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    There then has to be a very good chance that this Annie Tullett is yours.
    If I'm right, it'd be rather worth your while putting her name in here:

https://www.
    collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

malcolm99

I see Annie Rose was born September Quarter 1897. That seems to match quite neatly with her entry on this transcription of the 1911 Canadian Census (that is if column 8 means month of birth! – I haven’t checked that):

https://automatedgenealogy.
    com/census11/View.jsp?id=128103&highlight=45

pennydog

Malcolm,

Annie Rose was the one child I knew nothing of, other than the bap and birth reg.

How sad that she was put into the care of Barnardos. Like you this is a field which I have not encountered before, so lots to learn. I am pretty certain that the child you have found is the daughter of Mary Ann and either Robert and Henry. Will investigate further.

These children are my father's cousins and I am sure that he knew nothing of them.

pennydog

Well this gets more and more tragic.

Firstly I have made a glaring mistake - I have Mary Ann Tullett b1896, died 1899 as Henley but she is on the 1901 census!

Looking at the passenger lists for the 'Dominion' sailing Liverpool to Ontario 8/10/1908 - 19/10/1908 not ony is little Annie being taken to Canada, by Barnardos, but with her is her sister Mary Ann.

I have seen a copy of the 1911 Canadian census for Minden Township and Annie is a lodger with Archibald Taylor, his wife Ada and their child Marshall.

I also have a death record for Toronto 1919 for a 20 year old Annie Tullett - as yet I have not confirmed this is my Annie.

Tomorrow I will start again and see if I can find out what happened to Mary Ann.

On the Dominion, Barnardos took 109 boys to Toronto and 65 girls to Peterborough - sad.

Mutley

I've been unable to keep up with this thread, sorry.

Some of mine went from Deptford to Canada on The Tunisian. They were not orphans but part of a family and the parents seemed to think they were sending the children off to a better life. Doing what they could in hard times.
    Though the life of the children was often difficult in Canada mine did end up doing OK and I am now in touch with their Canadian descendants through BG.

Following the death of their father in 1913 in Southwark (in his 40s), they sent for their mother to join them in Canada and it was there that she died many years later. She is still remembered.

I do hope that you find Mary Anne and she also had a good life.

P.S. Not all Home Children were Barnados or orphans.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Firstly I have made a glaring mistake - I have Mary Ann Tullett b1896, died 1899 as Henley but she is on the 1901 census!
    Sorry Sue but I couldn't help laughing when I read this. Just think how many people have read your first post and missed this - I've referred to it more than a few times and I never noticed!

It just goes to show that we shouldn't take anything for granted but also that persistence pays off!

Good luck in your hunt for Mary Ann.

P.S. With luck, Barnardos should have photos of Annie Rose and Mary Ann

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345