Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tullett

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post

On 25th December 1919, Joseph[sic] Charles Tullett, 27, bachelor, labourer, of 11 BENMORE STREET married Cicely Stavely, 22, spinster of 10 Alvar Street at Christ Church, Deptford.
    Joseph Charles and Cecily Tullett (née Stavely) are living at 8A Alvar Street, Deptford in the 1935 electoral register. At 8 Alvar Street the 2 people listed are Mary Frances Stacey & Maud Violet Stacey. I haven’t checked this address in any other years.

If it's of interest Joseph & Cicely are mentioned on this Staveley Genealogy>
    https://www.
    staveley-genealogy.com/deptford.htm
    Last edited by malcolm99; 24-04-2012 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Added Staveley Genealogy ref

pennydog

Thank you so much for all of this additional info. - the links were great Malcolm, thank you.

Can I now throw this into the mix?

Using the electoral registers on Ancestry, there is a Robert Tullett listed as living at 68 Mill Lane, 1901 & 1902

On the 1901 census there is a Robert Zullett (sic) b 1869, wife Alice b1872, dau Alice b1889 and Lily b1898 all b Deptford. Robert is a dock labourer. Census ref: RG13-535-14-17

Needless to say I cannot find a marriage of this Robert Tullett/Zullett and Alice, but there is a bap at Christ Church Deptford of a Lillian Tullett daughter of Robert and Alice (occ Dock Lab) 14/8/1898. The address given is 14 Regent Street.

Now here is the thing - on the 1891 census at 14 Regent Street is Richard Mallice, who I am convinced is Richard Manners (another mystery I am in the process of unravelling!) who is Mary Ann Tullett nee Dunn's uncle!

Robert, Alice and the two girls then vanish - I cannot find them on the 1911 census, or on the 1891.

So is this Robert, the criminal free from his prison sentence, now living back in Deptford with a new partner Alice and a new year of birth?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post

Using the electoral registers on Ancestry, there is a Robert Tullett listed as living at 68 Mill Lane, 1901 & 1902

On the 1901 census there is a Robert Zullett (sic) b 1869, wife Alice b1872, dau Alice b1889 and Lily b1898 all b Deptford. Robert is a dock labourer. Census ref: RG13-535-14-17
    Have you seen there's a baptism at St John's, Deptford on 4th September 1901: Charles son of Robert & ALICE MARIA Tullett, 68 Mill Lane. Occupation - Dock Labourer.

malcolm99

ALICE MARIA Tullett, .
    Between 1871 & 1873 in Greenwich RD, FreeBMD says there are 5 Ann Marias - I'm going to try and check out Ann Maria BISHOP first as that's a name that's come up once or twice before!

pennydog

I had missed that one Malcolm, thank you again. These Tulletts are starting to give me nightmares. I have had a look at all the Charles born 1901 +/- 1 year born Deptford on the 1911 census and yet again nothing.

I think they must have hidden themselves when the enumerator called!

Mutley

I'm losing the plot....
    I saw the Zullet family and thought exactly the same as you did pennydog but without proof, I was unsure if to chuck it in the pot.

I found Robert Tullet in the Electoral Rolls 1921 - 1929.
    Thomasin found him there to 1937 which lines up with the death entry you found.
    I can find no other reference to him at all, after this census. There is a credable death entry for 1937 in Greenwich reg district, age at death being 74 which fits with the 1863 birth, (I do not have the dc).
    If you order that death certificate you may find it was a hospital.
    Mine died in 1910 in Dulwich Hospital which was the old St. Saviours Infirmary, the only reason for telling you this, is that his address was Stanhope Street. Not sure if by 1937 the registration district would have been Greenwich instead of Camberwell as it was in 1910.

pennydog

Deptford residents really do test you, don't they Mutley? There is a Robert Tullett on the electoral registers up to 1948 - there is, of course a son to Mary Ann called Robert b1886.

I think I may have to get that dc (oh well it is only money - I could always raid the dogs' money box, I checked the back of the sofa for the last cert!), I have held off hoping to find something on the census, but every which way seems to draw a blank.

Knowing my luck it will be him and the informant will be a stranger!

Thank you again for your interest.

Mutley

You are quite right, they do test us, don't they just?

I think times must have been very hard for them, especially the wives of the toe-rags. They did what they could.
    Evading the workhouse, the rent man, the tally man and the dratted census man must have been a nightmare for them.

There was no 'social' or 'benefits' to subsidise them, they relied on their wits or their families.
    To a certain extent we can only admire them and thank the Lord, they made it so that we can....

"raid the dogs' money box" to tell their tale.

malcolm99

Have you seen there's a baptism at St John's, Deptford on 4th September 1901: Charles son of Robert & ALICE MARIA Tullett, 68 Mill Lane. Occupation - Dock Labourer.
    Unfortunately I see there's a death: Charles Tullett, age 0, Greenwich RD, Sep Q 1902 - it's not getting any easier is it!

pennydog

Malcolm you are a real diamond staying with this one - I really do appreciate your input.

The death cert for Robert Tullet 1937 has been ordered (I found some stashed birthday cash, so the dogs' bone fund is safe!) and I will post what it says as soon as I have it.

Mutley, yes they really did have some fortitude back then, Mary Ann's grandfather an illigitimate twin born to a pauper mother in the workhouse, drowned in the Thames leaving a wife with 8 children to raise - no wonder the norm was to keep moving and being one step in front of anyone in authority or to whom you owed money.

The close proximity of all of these families means that Mary Ann and her children with Henry Henley must have crossed paths with Robert (if indeed he is the Robert Zullett) and his new 'wife' and children - would love to have been a fly on the wall!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast