Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tullett

Thomasin

The Morning Post 13th June 1888
    GREENWICH
    Walter James Fisher, 28, was charged, on remand, with being concerned in a burglary at the shop of Elizabeth Urry, pawnbroker, 35, Blackheath-hill, and stealing watches, chains &c., to the value of £25. - Robert Tullett, now under sentence of seven years' penal servitude for burglary, was brought up on a writ of habeas corpus, and stated that on the afternoon of March 25 last the prisoner and another man, named Tranter, went to his house, and asked if he would buy some things. He told them they were not in his line, and afterwards went with them to the shop of Mr. Purdie, Wellington-street, Deptford. Witness and the man named Pope went in and sold the things at the request of the prisoner, to whom they afterwards gave the money, £4.10s. The prisoner gave him 5s. and Pope 2s. Witness did not know where the watches were obtained, and had been dragged into it. He was suffering for the prisoner's misdoings, and was at home when the burglary was committed. - The prisoner said he knew nothing of the burglary, and could not make head or tail of what it was all about. - George Pope, who was also brought up from Wandsworth, where he is undergoing a sentence of 15 months' hard labour for complicity in a burglary, gave evidence somewhat similar to Tullett's. - A sentence of 12 months' hard labour for burglary on January 31, 1887, at the Old Bailey, was proved, and Mr. Marsham again remanded the prisoner.

Both extracts from The British Newspaper Archive.

pennydog

Thank you Thomasin and Coromandel, I now know about his crimes (and that he had cousins also 'fencing' stolen goods!). It also confirms that he and Mary Ann had two children. I wonder what happened to him once he was released from his 7 years imprisonment. It appears Mary Ann had five other children with another man, so it seems unlikely they resumed their marriage once he was free.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    1901 RG13-523-172-46 is where I next find Mary Ann Tullett, living as a 'Housekeeper' to Henry Henley, widower b1840 Deptford, a drover, at 106 Prince Street, Deptford.
    She has the following children with her:-
    Robert William b1886 (there is a birth reg for Greenwich March qtr 1886 Robert William Tallett)
    Henry William b1893
    James Charles b1893
    Mary Ann b1896
    Annie Rose b1897
    Clara b1899
    All Children registered as Tullet (Greenwich) born Deptford.
    If this helps things along, a Clara Tullett married Charles F Groves in Greenwich RD Sep Q 1918.

On the Ancestry electoral register for Deptford in 1922, Charles Groves and Mary Ann Tullett are listed living at 11 Benmore Street.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 23-04-2012 at 9:21 PM. Reason: 1922 Register not 1918

malcolm99

Now here’s a bit more to add to the mix.

On 25th December 1919, Joseph[sic] Charles Tullett, 27, bachelor, labourer, of 11 BENMORE STREET married Cicely Stavely, 22, spinster of 10 Alvar Street at Christ Church, Deptford. Joseph’s father was Henry Tullett, deceased, labourer.

So there is a connection between the Benmore Street address for both Charles and Mary Ann (#14).

There is quite a bit about Henry William in Ancestry’s WW1 service records. He was killed 15 September 1916.

pennydog

Thank You Malcolm, Benmore Street looks like it needs further investigation (tomorrow as I must away to bed).

Joseph Charles is the correct name (read it wrongly from my rotten handwriting in my notes!).

Will look up the Ancestry records too.

Mutley

1921, 1922, 1923 and 1929, James and Robert Tullett are at 76 Wellington St. (see post #11)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Benmore Street looks like it needs further investigation
    There’s a photo of Benmore Street on this page according to “Julie”:

https://www.
    olddeptfordhistory.com/2011/01/slum-in-deptford.html

She also says that the chimney in the photo is of the ‘Val de Travers asphalt and paving works’ – Ellen Perry’s father was an asphalter according to Henry William Tullett’s 1913 marriage register entry.

However, you should read "Michael's" comments at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 24-04-2012 at 7:53 AM. Reason: added "Michael's comments"

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    1921, 1922, 1923 and 1929, James and Robert Tullett are at 76 Wellington St. (see post #11)
    Robert is there right until 1937.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    Robert is there right until 1937.
    76 Wellington Street was a common lodging house and I see there's a Robert Tullett in Carrington House, Deptford in 1946. Carrington House was a very large 'doss house' and I wonder if this is the same Robert Tullett as Mutley's (#16).

There's a lot about Carrington House on the web including this:

https://www.
    olddeptfordhistory.com/2012/02/carrington-house-mill-lane-deptford.html

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    The Morning Post 29th March 1888
    GREENWICH
    George Purdie, 64, dealer, of Wellington-street, Deptford, ....
    Correction to the above - it should have been JOHN Purdie.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast