Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mojomax

Hi ollicat,

Yes, that is the census I have of my GGrandparents. I missed out on the end 3 people (they were over the page!!). I "think" the last child Catherine is a Gdaughter?

Catherine could well have died? I don't have any proof of that.

I visited Cleator Moor last year, even went to Whitehaven records office, (Thats where I found out Catherines maiden name) But I didn't have time to finish my research as I was only there for a days visit from Bowness, in the lake District.

The 1901 census is very interesting!! I downloaded that to research at a later date, but I do feel that they are the same family. There was only two houses on Henry Street 1 and 2. I visited the street last year, it was a strange feeling!

Mo

mojomax

Hi Jan1954,

I have come across this book and almost bought it last year, but without any clue as to where the Burns originated I would have been reading it "blind". Now though I'm sure it will be on my list of books to buy in the near future!

Thank you for your reply.
    Mo

mojomax

Hi birdlip

Thankyou for your reply,

I have to say that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read it!! My late Father and family always said when I was growing up our name originated from the spelling BYRNE and was changed when my GGrandparents arrived from Ireland!! How I wished I had quizzed them further about the family, but I was a lot younger and didn't have much interest in family ancestry then!

Apart from the birth year for Catherine, which like you say there could be a number of reasons and was not uncommon for the dates to be out a few years (as Ive found myself with various family members and what others have said too), everything else seems to fit!!!
    Even Frances who was born abt 1866ish seems to fit in with the situation!!!

I've got a good feeling about this and I'm excited to research the information you gave me

I read that there was a traditional naming pattern the irish had for naming their children. It seems that my GGrandparents named their first son (Frances) after my GGGrandfather which was traditional. James their second son should have traditionally been named after my GGrandmothers Father (Miles), but that name was given to their 4th son who was 7 in 1891.

I'm so gratefull to everyone for their help. I will keep you up to date with what I find.

Mo

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by mojomax View Post
    My Grandmother was Hannah Curran who married my Grandfather William Burns in the second quarter A,M,J in 1911 at Newcastle Upon Tyne.
    Mo, do you have their marriage certificate? It's just that you have quoted the quarter but not the date of the marriage and I wonder how you have determined which Hannah CURRAN in the 1901 census is your Hannah.

I have census for her aged 21 on the 1901 census in Blaydon, Durham, but nothing for 1911.
    Looking through the 1901 census, I see that Hannah CURRAN who was born abt 1880 in Bladyon was the daughter of Michael CURRAN. There is another a Hannah CURRAN who was born abt. 1888 in South Shields; she was the daughter of William CURRAN.

The reason I mention this is that in 1911, William CURRAN was living in Byker in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and boarding with him were William and Hannah BURNS. The problem is that the age and birth place of William BURNS does not match your William BURNS. However, it is conceivable that this information was incorrectly entered by the head of the household.

1911: RG14/30677 SN110

If you do have William and Hannah's marriage certificate then please ignore my post.

birdlip

Hi birdlip

Thankyou for your reply,

I have to say that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read it!! My late Father and family always said when I was growing up our name originated from the spelling BYRNE and was changed when my GGrandparents arrived from Ireland!! How I wished I had quizzed them further about the family, but I was a lot younger and didn't have much interest in family ancestry then!

Apart from the birth year for Catherine, which like you say there could be a number of reasons and was not uncommon for the dates to be out a few years (as Ive found myself with various family members and what others have said too), everything else seems to fit!!!
    Even Frances who was born abt 1866ish seems to fit in with the situation!!!

I've got a good feeling about this and I'm excited to research the information you gave me

I read that there was a traditional naming pattern the irish had for naming their children. It seems that my GGrandparents named their first son (Frances) after my GGGrandfather which was traditional. James their second son should have traditionally been named after my GGrandmothers Father (Miles), but that name was given to their 4th son who was 7 in 1891.

I'm so gratefull to everyone for their help. I will keep you up to date with what I find.

Mo
    Great Mo, very pleased to have been able to help. Would love to hear how you get on.

mojomax

Hi ollicat,

I have to say your info has threw me right off track, but in a good way!! I originally started to search my Grandmother Hannah and my late aunts and uncles. Without knowing my Gmothers birthdate, the search seemed feasible when I discovered the info on Blaydon, so Ive kind of stuck with that, but I did put it on the backburner to research more at a later date as I came to another "brickwall"!!(maybe because I was going down the wrong track!!!). I still have a bit to do for my late Mothers family, but thats going a lot smoother than I thought (I hope!!). So I hope to spend a bit more time researching my late Fathers family. Ive yet to send for my Grandparents wedding cert, but I will soon.

All of my Fathers Brothers and Sisters have passed away, one sister which I have just found out was last year!!! and I lost touch with my cousins which I'm trying to locate without much luck.

If your info is right, then that will explain why I hadn't located them in the 1911 census. I'm hoping that you are right, but like you say the birth place for my Grandad doesn't look right? I know he was born in Cleator Moor. There must be some explaination for this? But even the birthdate would be way out???

I'll have to spend some time to make sure. Another thing that doesn't match is Nora Burns age 6 on the 1911 census. She is down as a visitor. My Grandparents first daughter Nora was born in July 1911. Either way, she must have been born out of wedlock!!! (shock, horror, Grandma being a staunch Catholic!!). My Father was born in 1912 (get this) on Walker Road Newcastle!!!

The plot thickens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

Maureenhr

Lightbulb Burns in Philadelphia

In the 1900 US census, there is a 20 year old Delia Burns living with my gg grandparents. They are John and Catherine (Jolly) Cavanaugh from Cleator Moor. It is possible this is the sister Elizabeth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Mo, did you find anything more on your GGrandparents ... I am looking for similar names but Kathleen Doran not Catherine? From Co. Wicklow, immigrated to Cleator Moor. William was called Bill The Bull they had a daughter Julia Ann Burns who was my Great Grandmother She married John Richardson who went to South Africa to work in the diamond mines, two children were born John and Janet (Janie) Richardson and then she remarried to Robert Skillen also from C.M. ( GG Grandmother Skillen ran farm by herself after husband died and sold fish to augment income) Robert Skilllen ran away to join the Army because he didnt fancy being a farmer ... .Skillens also originated frm Ireland , Mourne Mountaind Co. Down I believe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12