Duchess

Question Douglas Wastnedge

My grandfather was born in 1920 in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, and he was born illegitimate. His mother was Winifred Mary Wastnedge.
    Then in 1928 his sister was born also father not mentioned on the birth certificate. But on both their marriage certificates they mention their father as being Stanley Wastnedge. Stanley was the brother to Winifred Mary Wastnedge, why would Douglas and his sister mention their uncle as their father?

And the illegitimacy in the Wastnedge family does not stop there.

Winifred Mary Wastnedge was also born in 1898 with no father mentioned on the birth certificate, Winifred was born in Chesterfield Union Workhouse and I have the documents of when her Margaret Ann Wastnedge entered the workhouse.

Margaret Ann Wastnedge born in 1879 Chesterfield, on her birth certificate, again the father is unknown. That is three generations where the father is unknown, why did this family want to keep the father's names of the birth certificates. Margaret's mother was Mary and after Margaret was born Mary married Joseph Corker.

Please can anyone help me solve this mystery, I am from Australia so getting back to the UK is not that easy.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could it be that those two earlier children were raised by their Uncle & known him as their Father? Or did he perhaps adopt them as the Mother was unmarried.?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Duchess

I don't know, Stanley was never married.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess
    But on both their marriage certificates they mention their father as being Stanley Wastnedge. Stanley was the brother to Winifred Mary Wastnedge, why would Douglas and his sister mention their uncle as their father?
    Probably so that there was a name on the marriage certificate. A fair old number of illegitimate people gave the names of "ficticious" fathers so as to "save face" with their intendeds and the ministers (unless they knew different- might have known the bride or groom since they were born) went with what they were told.

You may find this to be of help.

Duchess

already got the book

Duchess

does anyone have access or could get access to the bastary records in Chesterfield?