Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    anamarja

Default Robert William Amos Porter

My friend's ancestor, Robert William Amos Porter, died in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in 1942. On both his death certificate and his marriage certificate (he was married in Brisbane in 1897), his birth is noted as having been in Santa Cruz, West Indies. His birth would have been about 1869. His father's name is given as Robert William Porter. Can anyone help with finding actual details of his birth and his family?
    Last edited by anamarja; 18-04-2012 at 1:11 AM. Reason: added detail

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by anamarja View Post
    My friend's ancestor, Robert William Amos Porter, died in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in 1942. On both his death certificate and his marriage certificate (he was married in Brisbane in 1897), his birth is noted as having been in Santa Cruz, West Indies. His birth would have been about 1869. His father's name is given as Robert William Porter. Can anyone help with finding actual details of his birth and his family?
    Please ask your friend if she has any more info other than Santa Cruz West Indies.....Santa Cruz is a fairly common name in Spanish and there are way too many places in the West Indies to start with that. Have you tried looking for his father in the UK?

anamarja

The marriage and death certificates are the only information that is available. A correction - the marriage certificate gives the place of birth as Santa Cruz, Carrifee Island, West Indies. Thank you for your input.

Heather

The marriage and death certificates are the only information that is available. A correction - the marriage certificate gives the place of birth as Santa Cruz, Carrifee Island, West Indies. Thank you for your input.
    OK..tried searching on iPhone..impossible, grin. BUT...it probably is either a misspelling
    or one of the 100's of teeny islands in the Caribbean. We can be fairly sure it did belong to
    Spain and is prolly close to South America. I will have a better look on my computer and
    will ask my expert friends on a West Indian list

Yesterday

Hi,
    Did a Google search some time ago which came up with;
    The southern group of islands in the West Indies – the Lesser Antilles, can also be known collectively as the Caribbees. Not far removed from Carrifee?
    These consist of 3 groups; the Antillean Windward Islands, the Leeward Islands (which is the group where I FINALLY found my ancestors of British origin) and The Leeward Antilles.
    Doesn’t narrow it down much but may help!
    Eileen

Heather

Thanks Eileen...I found the same info but unfortunately there didn't seem to be an "islet" by that exact name. I checked small islands under Grenada & Guadeloupe and nothing. I should look for Spanish ones. On the end, did you find any records for your ancestor?? Sometimes they are in the records of the "mother"country but more often there are none. I will speak to some of the "keepers of obscure data" on the Caribbean List, grin!!

This iPhone is driving me bats!!

anamarja

Having seen the interesting efforts of clerical staff in recording names and overseas birthplaces, I'd take anything that looked remotely similar.

Yesterday

Hi,

The closest I got to pinning it down was finding the actual name if the island one was born was born in - still havent located a record, and the second was born on a ship anchored off an island - even more problematic as the birth is sometimes referred to as England (as it was an English ship) and sometimes as the island (Nevis). Still......I am ever hopeful!

anamarja

On consideration, I am guessing that the gentleman in question may well have hailed from Sainte Croix. Is there any possibility of records from the American Virgin Islands being in existence and/or accessible?

Heather

On consideration, I am guessing that the gentleman in question may well have hailed from Sainte Croix. Is there any possibility of records from the American Virgin Islands being in existence and/or accessible?
    https://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...CARIBBEAN.html

The above is a Mailing List I have been on for a decade....I think some of the best Carib researchers are on there. Give it a try and see if anyone can help you. Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast