Sarah Ward

Default Can anyone Help re: Thomas Wiltshire

I have been trying for ages to find Thomas Wiltshire (my g x4 grandfather) - the reason he is elusive is that he inconsiderately died before the Census
    He married 1/9/1811 Bath Abbey to Susannah Hayward (in register as widow)
    died 11/10/1833 Bath aged 45 (1788)

He had most of his children in Bath where he was a stenciller and the remainder in Bradford on Avon where he was a paperworker.

any help would be wonderful as I have found no matches so far (Susannah is also difficult to find as is a widow at marriage)

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Ward View Post
    He married 1/9/1811 Bath Abbey to Susannah Hayward (in register as widow)
    died 11/10/1833 Bath aged 45 (1788)

He had most of his children in Bath where he was a stenciller and the remainder in Bradford on Avon where he was a paperworker.

any help would be wonderful as I have found no matches so far (Susannah is also difficult to find as is a widow at marriage)
    Hi Sarah what was Susannah's name at marriage to Thomas? Also have you picked her up in any census or the children? where did you get the info about his occupations? This is one that Thomasin would call a blighter!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

On Free Reg the marriage is transcribed Willshire. One of the witnesses is E SKRINE. There were several baptisms in the 1780s to a William & Elizabeth SKRINE/Wiltshire ( sometimes both names sometimes just Wiltshire) do you think these could be his parents and that his is one of those infuriating missing baptisms.
    Having said that W W Skrine and Elizabeth Skrine did witness a lot of marriages.

Knowledgeable and helpful

This looks like them in 1841:
    HO107; Piece: 969; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St James; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 17; Page: 28; Line: 10;
    Susanna Wiltshire b 1801 not in county greengrocer
    Frederick 1826 costermonger (Edward Frederic bap 1823 Bath Abbey son of Thomas & Susan)
    John 1826 John Bap 1824 to JOHN & Susan
    henry 1832 Henry Bap 1832 to Thomas & Susan
    Mary Gile 70
    Rebecca Gile 26
    Thomas Wiltshire 24 Stenciller
    Sabina Wiltshire 19

Rebecca Gile (s) appears to have married 1843 to a Philip Keeping and from the 1851 was b Yate.
    If I have the right Susanna in 1851, still a greengrocer at 6 Corn St, Bath she was b 1798 ( a bit young to have married in 1811 but her age as per census could be wrong) Bradford on Avon

I dont have access to Bradford or Yate PRs but do you think that Mary Gile could be her mother and Rebecca her sister?
    Also, perhaps Thomas Snr was also known as John, or the baptism for son John has been transcribed wrongly?

Sarah Ward

Hi Sue - Susannah was Hayward at marriage in 1811 and I have her in 3 Census and know she was born in Bradford on Avon but have no maiden name to check with. The occupation info is from Directories and I know that it is him because the addresses where he lived when the children were baptised were in the Directory consulted in Bath Library - all of which is interesting but wont tell me where he came from!
    Anyway - many thanks for your help

Sarah Ward

Hi Lesley
    Many thanks for your reply - the Thomas at 24 is the son of my Thomas - born 1817 Bradford on Avon (also an Amelia who was christened and died in 1819 B -o -A). I did not see the Giles duo when I checked the census - thank you very much for this - I will now look again as I found a Susannah Vile at Bradford on Avon chr 29/4/1792 which might be a candidate.
    Thomas may have also been known as John or maybe the Abbey Clerk was confused as in the Bath Directories he was always Thomas - and a very elusive fellow he is too!!