Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ruthvbailey

Default THOMAS glamorganshire electoral roll lookups

I cannot locate the Thomas family to obtain my grandmothers birth certificate.

Annie Ellen Thomas (my grandmother) approx birth 1892 according to her marriage certificate.
    Birth place: Wales. Area unknown. Cannot locate her birth certificate. This is what I am really after as I do not know my great grandmothers single name.
    Death: 7/4/1973 Caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales. My grandmothers death details on ancestory is indicating her dob as 23/12/1897.

Marriages: x 3
    1. Ernest Edwins 7/5/1916 Caerau, Glamorganshire. Died in the forces in Flanders 1917.
    2. William Henry Phillips 9/5/1921- Newport, glamorganshire - died 08/12/1961 Senghenydd, Glamorganshire, South Wales
    3. Harry Edmunds 1965 Caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales - died 1967.

Annie's parents (I believe) Again I am told by the family that thomas was married twice no convincing evidence of this to date.

Thomas Thomas (my great grandfather- miner ) Not sure of birth but approx 1870 - area unknown- death I believe in the 1930's in Caerphilly, South Wales.
    Ellen Thomas ( my great grandmother) (dont know her single name) Not sure of birth approx 1870 - death I believe in the 1930's and died in abertridwr, caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales.

Need to locate their deaths which would be after 1933 as the electoral roll in gwent records indicate they were on the electoral roll until this time.

I need someone to look up the electoral roll for me for 1934-35 for thomas and his wife at either edwards terrace, abertridwr or brynhyfryd terrace, senghenydd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you ruth

ruthvbailey

Quote Originally Posted by ruthvbailey View Post
    I cannot locate the Thomas family to obtain my grandmothers birth certificate.

Annie Ellen Thomas (my grandmother) approx birth 1892 according to her marriage certificate.
    Birth place: Wales. Area unknown. Cannot locate her birth certificate. This is what I am really after as I do not know my great grandmothers single name.
    Death: 7/4/1973 Caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales. My grandmothers death details on ancestory is indicating her dob as 23/12/1897.

Marriages: x 3
    1. Ernest Edwins 7/5/1916 Caerau, Glamorganshire. Died in the forces in Flanders 1917.
    2. William Henry Phillips 9/5/1921- Newport, glamorganshire - died 08/12/1961 Senghenydd, Glamorganshire, South Wales
    3. Harry Edmunds 1965 Caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales - died 1967.

Annie's parents (I believe) Again I am told by the family that thomas was married twice no convincing evidence of this to date.

Thomas Thomas (my great grandfather- miner ) Not sure of birth but approx 1870 - area unknown- death I believe in the 1930's in Caerphilly, South Wales.
    Ellen Thomas ( my great grandmother) (dont know her single name) Not sure of birth approx 1870 - death I believe in the 1930's and died in abertridwr, caerphilly, Glamorganshire, South Wales.

Need to locate their deaths which would be after 1933 as the electoral roll in gwent records indicate they were on the electoral roll until this time.

I need someone to look up the electoral roll for me for 1934-35 for thomas and his wife at either edwards terrace, abertridwr or brynhyfryd terrace, senghenydd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you ruth
    MORE INFORMATION: I have now obtained the following information about my great grandparents. Can anyone help me to find their place of birth and birthdates, marriage and census.

William Thomas Thomas, 46 Caerbragdy, Caerphilly, age 76 years, date of death 4/1/1936.

Ellen Thomas, 12 Edwards Terrace, Abertridwr, age 71 years, date of death 15/9/1934.

malcolm99

MORE INFORMATION: I have now obtained the following information about my great grandparents. Can anyone help me to find their place of birth and birthdates, marriage and census.

William Thomas Thomas, 46 Caerbragdy, Caerphilly, age 76 years, date of death 4/1/1936.

Ellen Thomas, 12 Edwards Terrace, Abertridwr, age 71 years, date of death 15/9/1934.
    Just for starters, the only relevant marriage for a William Thomas Thomas and an Ellen in the GRO Marriage indexes is>
    William Thomas Thomas married Ellen Jones in Bangor Registration District [Caernarvonshire] in March 1880, Vol.11b page 569.

Unfortunately it’s time for bed now but perhaps others can add to this overnight (and perhaps find out if they really travelled the length of Wales after their marriage!).

ruthvbailey

Can anyone help me with some suggestion re a death certificate which is believed to be my great grandfathers.

My great grandfathers name was Thomas Thomas - all documentation so far mention him as Thomas Thomas who died at 46, Caerbragdy, Caerphilly, Glamorganshire on the 4.1.1936 as indicated by bereavement services.
    On receipt of it his name on the certificate is William Thomas Thomas and the informant a mary Jane Edwards.

Thomas's wife died in 1934 but neither my grandmother or grandfather was the informant which I thought was unusual.

Anyone have any suggestions in regard to this. Maybe he remarried or this person lived in same street??

Thanks

rvb

malcolm99

Maybe ....or this person lived in same street??
    It's more than likely it was a friend, acquaintance or neighbour. If it was a relative e.g. a niece, this was often mentioned next to the name of the informant.

malcolm99

Sorry, on looking at it this morning, my previous answer wasn’t really good enough.

There is an order of precedence for registering a death. After a coroner, relatives come next but your informant doesn’t appear to be a relative as that should have been mentioned on the certificate. If it wasn’t a relative then next in line would have been someone present at the death and this should have been noted on the death certificate. If there was no one there, then next in precedence would be the occupier of the house at the address or someone who lived in the same house; this would be obvious because their address would have been the same as your GGrandfather’s.

If it was none of these then the informant would have been the person responsible for disposal of the body; often this would be someone from the local authority.

There should be something more than just an informant’s name in the appropriate box on the death certificate – have you actually seen the certificate?

ruthvbailey

Hi, Unfortunately no there is nothing else only x mark of mary jane edwards prest at the death 46 caerbragdy, caerphilly.
    It shows that william thomas thomas died at the same address on 4/1/1936 he was a male 76 years of age, coal hewer, died from chronic bontchitis and senility. That it.
    thanks ruth

Coromandel

A couple of avenues that might be worth exploring:
    • Now that you have an exact date and place of death, check local newspapers for the area to see if there is an obituary and/or funeral report. Sometimes you get long lists of people who came to the funeral and those who sent wreaths, often with relationships stated.
    • Investigate the address, 46 caerbragdy. Who else lived there (e.g. from electoral rolls, directories, etc.)? One possibility is that it was a nursing home and that Mary Jane Edwards ran the home or was a member of staff there.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    [*]Investigate the address, 46 caerbragdy. Who else lived there (e.g. from electoral rolls, directories, etc.)? One possibility is that it was a nursing home and that Mary Jane Edwards ran the home or was a member of staff there.[/LIST]
    The electoral Registers for that period seem to be held by Glamorgan Archives. Their contact details are here:
    https://www.glamarchives.gov.uk/conte...directory_id=1

Also see this: www.glamarchives.gov.uk/ObjView.asp?Object_ID=23

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've been meaning to ask this question ...

There is a tree on Ancestry (probably yours) which has daughter Annie Ellen living at 30 Edwards Terrace, Abertridwr in 1930 (from the elctoral registers.) As the 1934 death certificate of Ellen THOMAS has her address as 30 Edwards Terrace and states her husband is Thomas THOMAS and her son-in-law W. H. PHILLIPS (Annie's husband) registers her death, then this looks like a perfect match.

However, I am wondering how you know you have the correct death certificate for her husband. It's just that Caerbragdy, Caerphilly is about 3 miles from Edwards Terrace, Abertridwr. Yes! he could well have moved or been at that address for another reason, but THOMAS is such a common surname. Just wondering how you know.

Have you found a grave for Ellen in the Abertridwr area. Was her husband buried with her?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast