Sandra Parker

Default Blue Anchor Lane 1901

I have looked at the 1901 census for Blue Anchor Lane, Bermondsey. The addresses shown are 1,2,4,6,8,10,12 and then in sequence to 37.
    My family had a commercial premises, a timber yard, at this time at No 3 & 5. Horace Colonel Bradford, his wife Elizabeth and children Ernest and Elizabeth Grace should be somewhere in the area.
    There is no trace of either of the numbers, 3 & 5 on the enumerators copies of the relevant pages., the Jones & Copus families are at No.2 and the Walter & Bartlett families at No. 4.
    In fact there are no references to the odd numbers until 13. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the missing properties were not included, even if no one was living there?
    RG13 Piece: 393 Folio:176 Page: 47

Sandra, the one with the spectacled aura

Jan1954

Hello Sandra,

It looks like the odd numbers were enumerated separately from the even numbers. I have found them starting on page 41:

1 Blue Anchor Lane
    Charles Linstead, Head, M, 52, Ironmonger, Own account, b Mildenhall, Suffolk

3,5,7,9,11: Arches - unoccupied

13 Blue Anchor Lane
    Edward Dear, Head, M, 50, Warehouseman, b Southwark
    Jane Dear, wife, M, 49, b Lambeth

Then, on page 42 are the Dear children, starting with Lettice, followed by the residents of further odd numbers.

I hope that this helps,

Sandra Parker

Thanks for that. I had the address as the business premises for Bradford Timber Yard listed in Post Office Commercial & Professional Directory 1895.
    I haven't been able to find Horace Colonel Bradford, his wife Elizabeth, their son Ernest and their daughter Elizabeth Grace in the 1901 census, although I can find all the other surviving children. I know Ernest and Elizabeth were a/alive and b/grew up to marry and have children as Ernest was my grandfather, and Elizabeth sponsored my family's emigration, so I knew her and her children. So following up addresses was a possibility.
    Unfortunately non of the names you mention, not the ones I found on the other side of the street, mean anything at all.
    Thanks
    Sandra of the spectacled aura.

QueSera

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker View Post
    I have looked at the 1901 census for Blue Anchor Lane, Bermondsey. The addresses shown are 1,2,4,6,8,10,12 and then in sequence to 37.
    My family had a commercial premises, a timber yard, at this time at No 3 & 5. Horace Colonel Bradford, his wife Elizabeth and children Ernest and Elizabeth Grace should be somewhere in the area.
    There is no trace of either of the numbers, 3 & 5 on the enumerators copies of the relevant pages., the Jones & Copus families are at No.2 and the Walter & Bartlett families at No. 4.
    In fact there are no references to the odd numbers until 13. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the missing properties were not included, even if no one was living there?
    RG13 Piece: 393 Folio:176 Page: 47

Sandra, the one with the spectacled aura
    Sandra,
    I was brought up around the corner from Blue Anchor Lane and I remember a woodyard under the railway arches in what was then called St James Road by the junction with Blue Anchor Lane. In fact, this part St James Road was previously called Blue Anchor Lane until the road was 'split' and re-named. (I used to call in to collect sawdust for my familys large collection of rabbits!)

Incidentally there was a pub with-in spitting distance across the road, show here in about 1920. I don't suppose anyone of yours is in the photo!
    https://
    deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/Bermondsey/RailwayTavern.shtml

Hope this is of interest
    Regards
    QueSera

Rich1960

Default The Waterman's lived in Blue Anchor Lane

Hi, during my searches I came across this forum regarding Blue Anchor Lane. I know it's a few years later on but better late than never. You may already have this information but here goes anyway. My Great Grandfather William Waterman abt:1852 - 1903, lived at No9 Blue Anchor Lane in 1901. His Daughter Matilda Waterman b:1873 lived at No15 Blue Anchor Lane in 1911 with her husband Charles Frederick King abt:1866.

Hope this was of some use.

Regards

Richard

Sandra Parker

Hi Richard,
    The real beauty of this forum, is that extra little bits of information are continually added by people, often it can be years later. The updating of a post often leads to even more clues, or information about the area or people.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Sandra