olliepolly

Default family tree maker upgrade

I have Family TreeMaker 2010, I am thinking about upgrading it to 2012 edition, the question is shall i just get an upgrade or shall I get Family Tree Maker Deluxe 2012 which i have found for a similar price to the upgrade, does anyone know what the difference will be or which is the best one to get.
    thanks

CanadianCousin

I'm not an FTM user myself (I have Legacy), but as no one else has replied yet, I'll give it a try. As far as I can tell, you'll end up with the same software whether you choose the upgrade route or the standalone installation. The Deluxe 2012 version should come with a three month 'Essentials' subscription to Ancestry, which doesn't appear to come with the upgrade. Also, if you do choose the new Deluxe installation, it shouldn't overwrite your existing FTM 2010 - which means if you don't like the new version, you can go back to using the old one (you may want to backup your 2010 family files before you try opening them with FTM 2012, just in case it changes the file format). You may or may not have the option of reverting to FTM 2010 if you upgrade to 2012 - I wasn't able to tell from my brief investigation. All in all, if you are going to try the new version and if the price is the same, buying the Deluxe package would seem to be your best bet.

HTH -

Tim