Hapax Legomenon

Default James Allen bc 1793 Birmingham

Good afternoon to you all!

Looking for any information about the family of James Allen, who was a gilt toy maker. From the Census returns I have gleaned that his children, brothers and indeed mother were all employed in the jewelry profession.

I am descended through his son John James Allen(b1833) a silvermith who married Lucy Jane Page in 1854,
    their son George Charles Allen (b 1856) a jeweller who married Mary Ann Thistlewood in 1881,
    their son George Thomas Allen a wood carver in a coach works who married Mary Ann Hathaway in 1904. Their daughter Florence was my great grandmother.

Anyone else researching this family - I would love to hear from you! Any info greatly appreciated.

Jan1954

Hi there,

What was the name of James' mother?

I have found 3 James Allens christened at St. Philip's, Birmingham on Family Search within the time frame +/- 2 years:
    5th September 1791 to parents Richard and Mary
    25th November 1793 to parents William and Mary
    8th January 1794 to parents James and Elizabeth
    All of these can be viewed if you order the film at your nearest Family History Centre: Source Film Number 813717

Plus:
    30th September 1794 at St Martin's, Birmingham to parents John and Elizabeth (Source Film Number: 919765, 919766, 919767)

As there are a couple of Marys and Elizabeths mentioned, are there any clues in the naming patterns of James' children?

Hapax Legomenon

Hi,

Thank you for that!

Their children were William, Henry, John James and Betsey.

I wanted to avoid assumptions regarding the parents because this family has caused me a lot of research grief! I am leaning towards acquiring some parish data on cd as my next step. I think I will also do a blanket search of the 1841 census to see how many Allens there are in the jewel trade.

I'm trying to get this all done in time for my Gran's 80th birthday in November. It's taken me 7 years to get this far!!

Thanks again!!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

May be different James Allens, and not sure if the follwing count as gilt toys but :
    Wrightsons directories for 1818 & 1823 do not lists a James Allen
    West's 1830 directory lists James ,AlIen coral and jet carver, 1 Court.Little Hampton-street.
    Wrightson's directory 1829-30 (which is likely to be derived from the same survey as above) also lists him.
    Wrightsons 1833 directory lists him as a coral & jet carver in New summer st
    Pigott 1841 Allen James, jet and pearl carver, 74 Hampton st
    Pigott 1841 Allen Jas. lamp & candlestick makr. 39 Bartholomew st
    Post Office Dir. 1849 Allen James, coral & jet carver, 110½ Hampton street
    Slaters 1852 Allen James, jeweller 3 Powell St

In the years after this there is no listing of a James Allen of similar occupations

Hapax Legomenon

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    Slaters 1852 Allen James, jeweller 3 Powell St
    Thank you! That's possibly him, his older brother William was at Powell Street in the 1861 Census as a jeweller employer, I have a feeling he took on the family business from their father.

However, on the 1851 Census he's living on Fleet Street and is stated as being an invalid. I do worry that there are unlinked Allen families working in the same trade!

Thank you again - I may look through directories for Allen jewellers and see what I can find.