Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Can you tell me how you connected your William BUNNING who married Jane in Stamford to the BUNNINGs of Bulwick and how you know his parents are Robert & Susanna? Is this family info passed down or do you have documentary evidence? Also what is on his marriage record to Jane - any helpful witnesses?

Janet
    The William who married Jane in Stamford is the correct one without doubt as I have tracked them back through indisputable documentary evidence. The William baptised in Bulwick in 1760 is pure supposition until I can prove or disprove it. There is no suitable baptism in Stamford (I have trawled through every baptism record in the Lincolnshire Archives) and Bulwick is so close as to be a high probability. William was a roof slater and Bulwick is so small that many young men went to Stamford (the nearest large town) to seek work. The marriage took place in St Martins Baron, Stamford, which was in Northamptonshire at the time, whilst the rest of Stamford was in Lincolnshire. I live in Lincoln so have easy access to the Lincs Archives. They have the St Martins parish records on fiche, but some, including William's marriage, are very poor quality. However, I can make out that William and Jane were both 'of this parish' which doesn't help my quest. The witness names are illegible. The original at Northamptonshire Archives is the next step, when I can get there. The marriage has not yet appeared on FreeReg. Robert and Susannah are the parents of the Bulwick William as recorded in the register. All I need to do (!) is prove that the two Williams are one and the same - simples!!!

janbooth

I wish!! Yes I know Stamford/Stamford Baron St Martin & the Peterborough area as my maternal grandfather was born at Peterborough and my paternal 5xggrandfather was actually married at Stamford Baron St Martin in the 1740's.

The marriage of William BUNNING and Jane appears on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index, but as you say, it just states that they were both unmarried and of the parish - not a lot of help! The only William BUNNING on the Northamptonshire Baptismal Index baptised around the appropriate time is that of the William in Bulwick, but none of the parishes in the Soke of Peterborough appear on that Index and they too are pretty close to Stamford/Stamford Baron St Martin.

Have you considered Norfolk and/or Cambridgeshire at all, as many of my Peterborough ancestors married Norfolk & Cambridgeshire folk? Although I can perhaps rule out Cambridgeshire as there is no appropriate baptism for a William BUNNING on the Cambridgeshire Baptismal Index. I note on Family Search there is a baptism at Kings Lynn on 24 February 1760 of a William BUNNING, parents William & Mary. He might be worth consideration and the actual parish registers are available to browse on Family Search, both Lynn St Nicholas & Lynn St Margaret, so if you wanted to check whether he stayed in Lynn, that is possible.

Janet

Janet, you must have been reading my mind. I had been discussing the East Anglia possibilites with my husband as you replied. (Sorry for the delay in responding to your post - my dog was attacked last week and we have been practically living in the vets. She is home now and healing well but it was touch and go for a few days)

I will certainly try to follow the Kings Lynn William through his life and see if its possible he may have moved to Stamford.
    Best wishes, Candy.

caves of bulwic

Default Bunnings of Bulwick,

Hi, I know this is a really old thread but i thought you might like to know that whilst researching the Cave family in Bulwick i came across an Ann Bunning marrying a William Cave who was born in 1738 and died 1829. They went on to have eight children, one of which was Obediah Cave who became landlord of The Queens Head for many years, he was my 4 x great grandfather!

Hope this is of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by dogaholic View Post
    My 4xGt Grandfather was William Bunning who was baptised on 25th May 1760 in Bulwick Northamptonshire. On the baptism entry his parents are given as Robert and Susannah Bunning.

This is where I hit the brickwall!

The only marriage I can find is for Robert Bunning and Susannah Satchil (Satchel?) in Deene (the neighbouring parish to Bulwick) on 31st August 1765 - 5 years after William's birth. Not impossible I know, but the only Susannah Satchel I can find was baptised on 3rd July 1848 in Deene, which would put her at only 12 years old when William was born, unless she was baptised as a child rather than as an infant, but there is nothing on the Baptism entry to suggest this.

(By the by, the marriage of Robert & Susannah was by Licence rather than Banns - does this have any significance? Their ages for example? 17 & 19 rather than over 21)

I can't find a baptism for Robert Bunning in the area, but there is a burial in Bulwick on 4th February 1831 giving an age as 85, which would put his birth at around 1746. The right age for Susannah, but again, he would only have been 14 when William, was born.

I have trawled the Parish records in the Northants Archives and can't find any other possibles. There is a Robert Bunning listed on FamilySearch as being baptised in 1746 in Northumberland, but I haven't followed his path to see if he may be the one who ended up on Northamptonshire. My head is too sore at the moment!

Can anyone help or advise what else I might try??
    Thanks.

I had found the Bunning / Cave marriage but your Ann Bunning is a generation before my William and I have yet to make the connection.

However, I have connected many other Bunnings to Ann, going back to her Great Great Grandparents. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the details. No problem if not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12