Thread: Im stuck :(

juliewebber

Default Im stuck :(

Hi
    I am completely at a loss, my 3 x grt grandmother according to her daughters birth certificate was one Sarah Puttock, she married Frank Stedman alias Osborne in Bignor in Sussex in 1852. I have been trying to find any other information about her and her family and have tried all the avenues I can think of online.
    Sarah died in 1859 aged 30.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Julie

Jan1954

Hello Julie,

What information is there on Sarah and Frank's marriage certificate? Any clues as to her father's name and occupation? Does her age at marriage match up with the age at her death?

Jan1954

There is a Christening for a Sarah Puttock on Family Search in Kirdford, which is about 12 miles from Bignor. Details: 13th September 1829 to parents George and Sarah.

Does this father match up with one on her marriage certificate?

juliewebber

I don't have the marriage certificate, although the records show her as Sarah Puttick at her marriage to Frank Stedman. I have a potential father as James and mother Jane both of Bignor - but I can't prove this. They are on the 1841 census as Puddick - the surname change is proving troublesome.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by juliewebber View Post
    Sarah died in 1859 aged 30.
    Presumably you have her death certificate, if you know her age?

Taking a slightly wider view of her age there are 2 possibles in the 1851 Census:

Sarah PUTTICK a 17 year old servant living in Brighton. Piece 1646 Folio 590 Page 1.

Sarah PUTTOCK aged 19 living at home. Her father's name is James. Piece 1649 Folio 196 Page 19

If you have her marriage certificate that will give her father's name. Sarah PUTTICK married Frank Stedman 1852 Qtr Apr Vol2b Page 510 in Chichester, Sussex.

What does the Stedman alias Osbourne mean?

juliewebber

I don't have the marriage certificate think I may have to get it, wanted to see if I could manage without it, don't think so in this instance. I thought that George and Sarah may have been the correct parents, but I have been given information that potentially a James Puddick and wife Jane both from Bignor may be the parents but I am having trouble proving this either way. The Puddick Puttick Puttock spelling change is causing me problems. Think getting the marriage cert is the only way - thank you

juliewebber

Frank Stedman sometimes called himself Frank Osborne ! apparently this was a family trait over 4 generations. I didn't find out about this until I very luckily came across this information from a distant relative. I couldn't find my 2 x grt grandmother Sarah Stedmans birth anywhere - turns out she was born Osborne, thanks to John Jones for that information I would never have found it otherwise. And yes I have a copy of her death cert thanks again to John.
    Thank you for the census info

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by juliewebber View Post
    I don't have the marriage certificate, although the records show her as Sarah Puttick at her marriage to Frank Stedman. I have a potential father as James and mother Jane both of Bignor - but I can't prove this. They are on the 1841 census as Puddick - the surname change is proving troublesome.
    You need it. No question as this will confirm her father's name and occupation.

Looking on FreeBMD, there is a marriage in the June quarter of 1852 in the Chichester registration district (which covered Bignor) between a Sarah PUTTICK (please note the spelling) and Frank STEDMAN, volume 2b, page 510.

To be on the safe side, you could order the certificate just using Frank's name - just in case it is a mistranscription of Puttock/Puttick

juliewebber

Great, thanks for all your help everyone