Thread: Daniel Green

Beth877

Default Daniel Green

Hi
    Only real brick wall I have hit along the way is Daniel Green my great grandfather on my mum's side. Cant find a birth for him. Married Lily Guest nee Goddard in 1920. Marriage cert gives his father as James Green deceased. Daniel is mistranscribed as Damber on the cert and address is 10 Mitchell St Nottingham, says he is ex army and is a general lab. Cant find him before the marriage in any census. My mum thinks he could have been Irish as he was a Catholic, and he had one arm. The family ended up living in Bailey St Basford Nottingham until he died in 1958. Marriage birth date and Death birth date differs.....
    On his wedding cert in 1920 he claims his age is 27 which gives him a date of 1893. However on his death cert when he is 72 so indicates his birth year is 1886.

Any suggestions????

Beth877

Hi Notanotherminer

yes I moved it to the brick wall forum so more people can see as per suggestions earlier... On the marriage cert it says James Green was a General Lab too.

I am hoping its the right Daniel that Olliecat has found... am currently trying to dig up a bit more based on the info that Olliecat has produced to convince me a bit more!!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi again Beth. This is the Daniel I mentioned in your introductory thread.

1911: RG14/20619 SN148
    2 Alfred Square Nottingham
    JACKSON, Willie Harry, head, 33, brass bobbin maker, Nottingham
    JACKSON, Elizabeth Mary, wife, 33, Durrow Queens Co. Ireland
    JACKSON, Minnie, daughter, 3, Nottingham
    GREENE, Daniel Joseph, brother-in-law, single, 21 (b. 1890), Landwick board man, Durrow Queens Co. Ireland, lost right arm.

So did your Daniel have a sister called Elizabeth? Also, if your Daniel was in the army, then I imagine this was before he lost his arm. Any idea how/when he lost his arm?

Beth877

Hi Olliecat

I know nothing about Daniel other than he married Lily and that his father was called James. Like I said a real brick wall... if he was in the army then it must have been the Boar War ....

Quote Originally Posted by Beth877 View Post
    Hi Olliecat

I know nothing about Daniel other than he married Lily and that his father was called James. Like I said a real brick wall... if he was in the army then it must have been the Boar War ....
    He might have been a bit young for the Boer war, but since we are unclear as to his exact birth date that can't be ruled out.

Just poking around in the 1901 census of Ireland, the Daniel who is in the 1911 census in Nottingham could be here in the 1901 census, living with his grandparents in Durrow.

Beth877

I'm having real problems with my internet it seems so apologies for the five PM's!
    I had a quick look myself in the Irish records and I have found an Elizabeth Mary Greene born to a James Greene and Elizabeth Fleming.. and the birth year matches the 1911 census but says the registered place is Derry.

I can see a birth registration for a Daniel Green in 1885 in the registration district of Abbeyleix, which I believe covers Durrow. However I couldn't see one for Elizabeth in that district.

This looks like Elizabeth's marriage...

Marriages Jun 1907 Nottingham 7B 747
    JACKSON, Willie Harry
    GREENE, Elizabeth Mary
    STACEY, Florence
    JOHNSON, Alfred

There is a tree on Ancestry that has Elizabeth's father's name as James but I don't know if the owner of the tree has evidence, such as her marriage certificate, to verify this.

Beth877

I'll have a look on A and message the person see if I can gain more information. It would be lovely to find that he has a sister.
    I honestly cant believe this can be him after two years of searching!!!!