Thread: Need help!

emmybrien

Default Need help!

I am new to this site and am hoping for some advice on a brick wall I have come up against. I have realized that a grandmother (now deceased) was born 2 years after the death of her "Father". Well, apparently, her Mother (Emma Jane Sillwood) had a boarder by the name of "Uncle Bernie" who I suspect is really her Father as he was a life long boarder and present at all family events, in photos etc. I sent for the birth certificate and found that Grandmother had no father listed. Perhaps her mother was worried about losing an army pension if she remarried considering she had 4 other children?? Anyway, I am trying to find the name of the boarder who I believe is her real Father! Grandmother was born in 1919 and of course the 1920 census in England is not available now. The address I have on her birth certificate is 43 Stanhope Road, Littlehamptom, West Sussex in February 1919. Any ideas???

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello emmybrien and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by emmybrien View Post
    a boarder by the name of "Uncle Bernie"...
    The address I have on her birth certificate is 43 Stanhope Road, Littlehamptom, West Sussex in February 1919. Any ideas???
    Off the top of my head, to try and find Bernie's surname, you could check the electoral registers to see who was listed at 43 Stanhope Road, Littlehamptom in 1919. If you get in touch with the Littlehampton library or the Local Studies Service they may be able to help.

There is an online form here for contacting for the Local Studies Service.

or...

Contact details for Littlehampton library here.

Mutley

I tried the available online electoral registers, but they are London area not Sussex.
    I looked at the 1911 for the address, but number 43, was not included although it was probably before their time anyway.

I think, as Ollicat suggests, electoral registers are your best bet. They should give the names of anyone over 21 years at that address.

Were the other four children older? I presume they were and were Granddad's not Uncle Bernie's. Can you chuck us a few more dates, Granddad's death, was that in WW2 and the other children's birth dates? Where may they have lived before 1919?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Can you chuck us a few more dates, Granddad's death, was that in WW2 and the other children's birth dates? Where may they have lived before 1919?
    Here you are Mut, a few more details that I found earlier. From the CWGC

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SILLWOOD, RICHARD HENRY

Service No: ZP/2031
    Date of Death: 31/05/1916
    Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
    H.M.S. "Indefatigable."
    Panel Reference 24.
    Memorial PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of William Sillwood; husband of Emma J. Sillwood, of 43, Stanhope Rd., Littlehampton. Native of Guildford.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also...

1911 census ref: RG14/5355 SN201
    Living at 5 East Street Wick Littlehampton. Four daughters are listed along with the parents Richard and Emma.

Also, in the marriage index, in 1897 East Preston reg district, a Richard Henry SILLWOOD is listed on the same page as an Emma Jane COLLINS.

kermie62

This may be obvious, but have you looked at your Grandmothers marriage certificate to see who she puts down as her father?.

Alternatively check the marriage certificates of hers and in case, sisters and brothers, some times they have a family member as a witness particlualry if Uncle Bernie stayed around. I confirmed one level by the grandmother being a marriage witness.

Also check the middle names of your parents and Uncle and Aunties, you may find that they used Uncle Bernies last name as a middle name.

I also assume you have checked on the cirth certiface who registered the birth?.