Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Loves to help with queries

Default Robert Hay Dillon born 1878 in London

I have been trying to find a war or military record for Robert Hay Dillon, my first cousin 2x removed. He was the son of William Thomas Dillon and Elizabeth Cook. He was born in 1878 in London and is listed in the 1881 census, his address showing as Willesden, Middlesex and in St Marylebone in the 1891 census. I cannot find him in the 1901 census, however, I have record of him marrying Eunice Elsie Loader in Rangoon, Burma on the 26th February, 1906.
    He departed Rangoon in July 1910 for Britain ex the ‘Irrawaddy’ and records show that he was Captain Robert Hay Dillon. His wife and two very young children travelled with him.
    Possibly he was not in any conflict or war. Just a few moments ago, I checked his name again under Immigration and Travel on Anc. Maybe he was a seaman. I did see a record for an RH Dillon, 3rd Officer arriving in Sydney, Australia on the 21st September, 1903, ex the ‘Uganda’, but was he ‘my RH Dillon’? Until now, I thought he may have been involved in uprisings in India or Burma. I would really
    like to solve my little mystery and would appreciate any help at all.
    Many thanks.
    Sandeea

Coromandel

The London Gazette of 6 February 1917 announces under the heading 'R.N.V.R.' [Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve] that Robert Hay-Dillon is to be a temporary Sub-Lieutenant as of 2nd Feb. 1917:

https://www.
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29931/pages/1268/page.pdf

A 'RNVR Officer's Service Record' (dates 1894-1922) for Robert Hay-Dillon can be downloaded from
    Documents Online for GBP 3.50 (part of National Archives ref. ADM 337/123). The blurb says 'These records typically contain the following details: name, rank, details of appointments, honours and awards, dates of promotion, the officer’s address and the address of their next of kin.'

For more about records of the RNVR see the National Archives' guide to 'Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve personnel: further research'.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you Coromandel - I will look into the details you have supplied.
    Sandeea