Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettett family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Pettett family

Hello all, I'm Mike Pettett and have been gathering info on my family for some time. I'm looking for any information about ancestors of James Pettett, born in 1819 or 1818 in Ore (v. close to Hastings), married Charlotte Robins born about 1821 in Rotherhithe or Greenwich, Kent. James was a master mariner, mate on the "Venus" in 1861, and died before or during 1881. He had two sons, George Thomas born in Hastings in 1852 and James William born in Ore in 1847. The former died in about 1939 or 1940 in Barnet. The latter emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 and died in NZ in 1922.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jan1954

Hello Mike and welcome back to Brit-Gen.

Have you checked out the 1066 Genealogy webite? They have pages devoted to Hastings.

Wayne Pettett

Hi Mike
    I am related to James William Pettett who came out to New Zealand on the Berar in 1875. He had a son George Pettett who could remember being carried through the sea when they landed on the Petone Foreshore according to my Father Henry George Pettett who was born on the 02/030/1904.He had 2 other children Peter David and Robin Ainsley who are still living and I am in contact with Robin. Peter is in sydney, Dad died in 2002 2 weeks before his 98th birthday. He also had a surviving Daughter Doris Lila who married James Malcolm. This is a start and James William had other children which I am now researching I have had good results through the NZ births deaths and marriages. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Wayne

Keiling

Hi Mike,
    I am also related to James William Pettett, and his wife Mary Ann, who came to New Zealand on the Berar, my paternal grandmother was a daughter of James Pettett, she was born in New Zealand in 1881, her name was Emily Alice Pettett (Lawson) I believe that there were several other children, Charles, Kate, Harry and Ellen (Newland).

Regards,
    Karen

lawsue

Hi all the Pettetts out there,
    I found my Pettett some time ago, name of Alfred Pettit (please disregard the spelling) then found through Brit-Gen his brother Henry Pettett and am now in regular contact with two of his descendants. There are 3 sisters, at least, as well but I will concentrate on them at a later date. My mission now is to find Alfred and Henry's brother James. My contacts in the USA (mentioned above) have James as being born around 1807 but nothing appears at all on him on familysearch. The other siblings are showing up however.
    I have found now the above posts albeit old ones mentioning a James Pettett born Ore, Sussex 1818/19 The six Pettit/Pettett siblings that we know about were all born in Rye, Sussex and I believe that these two places are fairly close. I have a photo of one of the brothers in full Naval uniform, I guess his age is around 20 as he is wearing full whisker. I don't believe that it is either Alfred nor Henry. Alfred was in the army and Henry not in either, we think. Would love contact with any of these posters for any information that we may have in common, or not. The mention of PetteMG's ancestor being in the navy caught my interest,(my photo) and also the fact that I read on another site that his James was stationed in Hastings.
    From information on convict records, my Alfred was born to James and Elizabeth Pettit. James Snr"s native place was Hurst Green East Sussex.
    Thanks
    Sue

Wayne Pettett

Hi Sue
    I am in the NZ Line re my other post and I have a bit of info about the english and the NZ connection I found out just the other day about a Hugenot connection form France where they came to England as rufugees...I dont know much more about that side yet more research needed there

Cheers
    Wayne

lawsue

Hi Wayne,
    Thanks for that info. Do you think that there could be a connection between your James Pettett born 1818/19, children being George Thomas and James William and my Alfred and Henry. Do you have any info on your James William's grandparents? Alfreds and Henry's parents are James and Elizabeth,married 1806, St Clements, Hastings.
    Our James is supposed to be born around 1807, but can't find anything about him. Could there be another James, namely yours,but ours as well, born 1818/1819
    There are 5 known children plus the elusive James in my Pettetts, but the birth years are 1807,1811,1813,1818,1820,1823. There has to be more children as the gaps in ages are rather large. I have tried 1066 Genealogy but that just leads me back to A.......com. asking me to subscribe.
    The Hugenot refugee research sounds like it might be interesting.
    As I mentioned in my post, I have a copy of a photo of one the Pettett brothers, hopefully James, in naval uniform and as mentioned in Mike Pettetts post his James was a sailor. There was an HMS Venus, naval ship, at that time.
    I certainly hope we can be of help to each other.
    Regards,
    Sue

lawsue

Hi Wayne again,
    Further to my previous post. 1066 Genealogy did not lead me back to A...com. That was another site. My appologies, but I did not find anything of use at the moment on 1066 Genealogy. Thought I best clear that up.
    It is quite a good site though with lots of info. Have you had a look. I did find Alfred Pettit/Pettett on the Army deserters list though. But I had that info already.
    Sue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sue,
    I posted the original message that started this thread, and since then I have found that James Pettett's birthdate was 25 Aug 1819, and that his father was called William. Charlotte Robins' father was called Walter. The birth date came from James' claim for his Master's certificate, which I bought from the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The parents' names came from FamilySearch.org. I'm afraid the Naval connection is probably a red herring as according to his claim, James was in the British Merchant Service, not in the Royal Navy. As you say there was an HMS Venus, which was involved with Nelson's campaign against Napoleon before James was born, but James' Venus was a merchant ship on which he was mate in 1861 (census). I must admit to having some doubts about the identity of this James of 1861 though. If, according to his claim, he was already Master of the "Hastings" in 1850, how come he was only a mate in 1861? I don't know enough about the Merchan Service to know if this would have been a normal thing to do.
    Some other things I have found out: James and Charlotte were married at All Saints, Hastings on 28 May 1844. George Thomas Pettett was christened at St. Clements, Hastings on 22 Oct 1852. In the 1881 census Charlotte is a monthly nurse with the Fairhall family at 2, Mermaid St., Rye. Also caution: I was for a long time led astray by another James Pettett, Merchant Mariner, who was born in Bexhill, Sussex in 1835 or 1837, and married to an Elizabeth, born about 1845 in Shoreham.
    Regards,
    Mike Pettett

lawsue

Good Morning Mike,
    Sunday morning here Thanks for your reply. I guess you have answered all my questions, Just a bit disappointed that I have to start again.You know how it is. Wayne from previous post has now sparked an interest in the Huguenot story and I have been reading up on that and finding that many of these people first settled in the Rye area. So chances are that there may be a connection but way, way, back. We will never know. I found your James and Charlotte on Sussex Parish Clerk and on 1066 found the birth of their daughter Martha Jane also a burial that I am guessing was her as well. Baptised 21 Feb 1846 and died 30 Mar 1846.
    Our James was born in 1807 but he seems to have disappeared off the radar. I was hoping that there was another son, James, but nothing there as well. I will plug on for a bit longer but may have to raise my hand and ask for help.
    Thanks again for your reply
    Regards Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast