Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tempting fate or the Karma Pixies

Am I the only person that thinks it is tempting fate to take a cruise ship and follow the last journey of the Titanic?
    I can almost hear the Karma Pixies chuckling as they rub their hands in glee.

I hope I am wrong
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

DorothySandra

I have the same feeling, especially after watching a bit of the programme about the Concordia

I console myself with the knowledge that not only will they be keeping a very strict watch for hazards, but with the world's eye on them there would be more people saved if anything goes wrong.

ok, perhaps it's just me then, being a superstitious old hen...
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Loves to help with queries

Oh I agree with you Ladkyis, my luggage would include my own personal life jacket, flares & a James Bond jet pack (which would probably go wrong!)
    Alison

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Talking of the Titanic and Karma (OK we weren't, but ..), in researching our local War Memorial I came across one chap who jumped ship at Swansea and probably went to see his Brother and Sister in Law off on the Titanic. They had meant to sail on another ship, but there was a National Coal Strike at the time and they were moved onto the Titanic ( which I suppose had dibs on coal). The Wife survived, the Brother didn't.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Half a dozen years ago I went on a whale-watching cruise off the coast of Queensland, Australia. It was a brand shiny new boat making its maiden voyage, and was being filmed for Oz TV.

To the passengers' horror, as we pulled away from shore and headed out to sea, over the ship's sound system came the theme from "Titanic".

Whether it was unconscious irony, or just someone having a laugh at our expense. I'll never know. But we survived!

Dale in New Zealand

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    ok, perhaps it's just me then, being a superstitious old hen...
    Nope Ladkyis - I'm with you on this one. Nothing on earth would have persuaded me to do this - and seeing the footage of the trippers grabbing all of the on board souvenirs presumably with an expectation of flogging them for muchas cash on ebay confirms that!

Starting to feel at home

In 1954 we emigrated to Canada aboard the old Franconia (its last voyage). We travelled steerage of course, and during a storm off the coast of Newfoundland the steel storm doors were closed that separated our section of cabins from the rest of the ship. The gale pushed us up the coast of Labrador and we spent three days turning around and sailing back through the Straights of Belle Isle, into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The ship ran out of milk for the children, and we started running out of food.

I sailed the Atlantic again about twenty years later under much better circumstances, and my husband and I sailed the Aegean many years later. I don't think I will sail again as I've become increasingly claustrophobic over the years. But I think what would really put me off sailing the Balmoral at this time is the way the sinking seems to be treated as entertainment rather than the disaster it was. We've had restaurants in this area putting on 'Titanic dinners' , reproducing parts of the last supper aboard the ship " because it's good for business". Just human nature I guess, but I still have a problem with it.

Pam (who is feeling increasingly out of step with the world)

spison

I don't mind cruising on new ships but would always have a window or balcony if I could. While I wouldn't have done the anniversary cruise on the Atlantic, I feel that if you had any kind of connection to or interest in the Titanic, it would have been a very moving experience to have been at a memorial above the wreck.
    Jane