MarkJ

Default 4G wireless broadband trial in the UK

Just in case anyone is interested in this technology, I am one of the triallists in the mid-Cornwall area who are on the trial.

It is effectively a similar technology to that used by mobile phones - my router has a SIM card, just like those in mobile phones. The big difference is that, unlike a mobile phone 3G connection, I have a 4G one. This means that instead of my previous wired broadband speed of 512kb download maximum because of my remote location, I get 10 to 20 mbps down and similar upload speeds.

It is a very impressive technology for those people in remote areas and the trial is useful to the telecoms companies (Everything Everywhere and BT) in discovering the odd glitch as well as proving that telecoms companies CAN work together!

Mark

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sounds very positive Mark. We hear rather negative opinions here as the fibreoptic cable is rolled out. Every one wants better performance but no-one seems to think it'll improve their lot.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

We do a fair amount of motorhome travelling, using mobile phones and a MiFi device for Internet access, which works on 3.5G/HSDPA. It's pretty good but I've read that 4G is quite a step up. When 4G arrives nationally I shall certainly be considering dumping the landline.

Graham

Reputation beyond repute

But don't expect an Apple ipad 4G to work on 4G in the UK

Having bought an Apple iPod I wouldn't touch any more of their products It's OK as an MP3 player but the software updating rigmarole is a pain

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    But don't expect an Apple ipad 4G to work on 4G in the UK
    Nor in Australia it seems.

Reputation beyond repute

Nor in Australia it seems.
    I think I read somewhere that they have added "only in US and Canada" to their advertising in the hope that it will deflect all the court cases that are building up.

Procat

You are correct Peter - well as regards Australia at any rate. Apple got bailed up by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and are now forced to include disclaimers when advertising. They also had to offer refunds to people who had already purchased Ipads before the issue became known.