Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eliza Herbert

Mutley

At Eliza's baptism on 22 Feb 1880 they lived at 28 Denmark Street.
    Her father Samuel was a Chaff. Something?

No names that seem familiar were at this address in 1881.

junedye64

Pam
    if I order that birth cert do I leave off the vol & page nos. and just give the parents names?

June

junedye64

Mutley

I didn't know what Chaff meant. He was a carman on other census. Maybe he was a chaffeur.

June

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by junedye64 View Post
    Mutley

I didn't know what Chaff meant. He was a carman on other census. Maybe he was a chaffeur.

June
    My thoughts also. Dad Samuel seemed to be a Gunmaker.
    Living at 7, Stutfield Street, St George In The East in the 1891.

Good job that father and son combination are not around in that area these days!!

junedye64

I agree Mutley

It was a family thing.

Samuels Father & Grandfather were also gunmakers. They originally came from Birmingham.

June

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm fairly certain that Samuel's occupation in the baptism register is chaff-cutter. i.e. he cut straw to make chaff. (Google 'chaff' for further info. )
    if I order that birth cert do I leave off the vol & page nos. and just give the parents names?
    As far as I know you quote the volume and page numbers as well, but I'm not sure. Others might know for sure, but if in doubt either email or phone the GRO for confirmation.

Can you find another Eliza in 1881, who might fit that birth registration? Or an Eliza who died between 1879 and 1881?

Pam

Mutley

I discounted the chaff-cutter thinking about where they lived but I suppose he could have been.
    If he went on to be a carman, that would have been with a horse and cart, so he may well have originally 'fed them' before he 'drove them'. Not a lot of help to find his missing wife though, unless she was fed.......
    Don't be silly Mutley!!!!

I must oft to bed and leave you to sort it all. If not I'll be back tomorrow. This looks like it could be an interesting one.
    Night x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12