griff20

Default Charles Cairns Vanished

Hello,

I'm looking for my grandfathers uncle Charles Cairns born in 1909 in Glasgow. I can't find any trace of him not a marriage or death. I have found the info on all 8 of his siblings but he somehow seems to have slipped the net. There is an address for him on his fathers death certificate in 1951 which is, 1 Craig Road, Troon. His mothers name was Elizabeth Houston (Gordon in a previous marriage) and fathers name was William.

Any advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Griff

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Griff, there seems to be quite abit of ships crewing to USA,Canada etc for a Charles Cairns b. Scotland 1902-5.
    One such is Mr Charles Cairns R.F.A. (Scottish) 2nd Officer-age 42 arriving 7th dec. 1944 in Liverpool from Bombay on the "Athlone Castle."
    English address- Fell View,Scraggyford, Carlisle. (writing faded may be a bit off here.)

Also Lieut. Charles Cairns -24, arriving Plymouth on Matiana -England address c/o Grindlay & Co. 54 Parliament St. London. From Bombay,India.
    Includes other Army Officers & families.

Have you looked for him in Military areas?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

griff20

Thanks Waitabit,

I don't know anything of him, although now you mention it I suppose he could have been called up during the war as he would have been 30 when it started.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by griff20 View Post
    Thanks Waitabit,

I don't know anything of him, although now you mention it I suppose he could have been called up during the war as he would have been 30 when it started.
    There is a Private Charles Cairns brn Larnakshire died 27 Aug 1944-Gordon Highlanders-Western Europe Campaign, 1944/45 listed on Ancestry UK Army Roll of Honour 1939-1945

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    There is a Private Charles Cairns brn Larnakshire died 27 Aug 1944-Gordon Highlanders-Western Europe Campaign, 1944/45 listed on Ancestry UK Army Roll of Honour 1939-1945
    To add to this, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission has the further details of his service number being 2988128 and he was in the 2nd Battalion of the Gordon Highlanders. They have his age at death being 30 which, in 1944, would make his birth being in 1904, rather than the 1909 as originally stated. Although still feasible that this was the same chap as ages were not always accurately recorded, as there was an address recorded for him on his father's death certificate in 1951 (post # 1 above) I doubt that this was the chap that we are looking for.

Griff - have you tried following him through directories at all?

griff20

Thank you everyone for looking,

He was still alive in 1951 so I don't think that could be him. I haven't tried looking through directories would you know how I could do that? The only recourse I've used is Scotlands records website (not knowing whether I can say the name) and there was no matches on that at all for a marriage or death.

Coromandel

Hi Griff. I recommend that you look at Findmypast's outgoing passenger lists (you can do this free in Oxfordshire libraries ) where you will find a Mr C. Cairns of the right age and from the right part of Scotland on a 1953 voyage to Australia.