annabel

Default Another vanishing ancestor?

I am trying to find out what happened to my ancestor Edward William Fricker born 1860 in Lambeth, London to Edward William and Frances Fricker

I have him in 1861 and 1871 in the censuses with his family but then he vanished, although his family remain.

Then the only thing i can find of anyone with that name after that time is a probate notice that an Edward William Fricker died on 20th Feb 1898 in Observatory in Cape Town. £412 was left to Henry James Heath, a secretary to a public company.

I think there was a gold rush in South Africa at about the right time which would explain why Edward might go there

The thing is I am at a loss as to how to find out if it is the same man

Hoping someone might have some ideas

Brick wall demolition expert!

I would advise you to obtain a copy of the will from the Probate Service, See their guide here and scroll down to the section - "I know the details of the Grant - how do I get the copies I want?"

All you need to do is fill in the provided form and send it to the Leeds District Probate Registry. A copy of a will currently costs £6.

Quote Originally Posted by annabel View Post
    £412 was left to Henry James Heath, a secretary to a public company.
    This isn't quite correct. Henry James Heath was the executor of the will and may not have been a beneficiary. In other words, his job was to administer Edward's estate. This is why you need to obtain a copy of the will, as this will tell you who the beneficiaries were, and with luck may enable you to confirm or eliminate this Edward as yours.

annabel

Thank you very much. i had no idea that I could do this at all and this is an enormous help. I shall certainly give it a go
    Annabel