Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Major John Andrews

Hi I am trying to find something on this man as I have hit the wall with him. All I know is that his daughter Aususta married John Butt in 1833 at Houghton, on the 1851 census her birth place is Cold Henley, when she died it is stated that her father was Major John Andrews and mother Jane. I found Jane Andrews burial info, she died at Houghton in Jan 1823 aged 63 and it said that she was the wife of Marjor John Andrews.
    I know that there was a Major John Andrews (Royal Artillery) in the Peninsula Wars as he received 8 clasps. The only other info I have on this family is that they had another daughter Martha in 1804 and as their mother was in her 40's by then I guess that there has to be other children born else where.
    Can any one help me please.
    Regards
    Michelle

Default Major John andrews

Thanks for that, I have spent at lot of time looking at the site but I found nothing on him.
    Regards
    Michelle

It has been a long time since I tried to find anything on John Andrews but this morning I have been looking at the Hampshire Advertiser and there appears to be an entry for John Andrews death, the date of the paper is 3 August 1839. Also I found in the Hampshire Chronicle 25 April 1808 that John Burrow, Esq. of Wedmore, Somerset married Jo Charlotte, second daughter of Major Andrews of Henley, near Whitechurch, at Hursbourn Priors, in this county. His daughter Augusta who married John Butt in 1833 said on the census that she was born at Henley so I think that Charlotte must be her sister.
    Could I please ask for a look up of these two newspapers items.
    Thank you

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    It has been a long time since I tried to find anything on John Andrews but this morning I have been looking at the Hampshire Advertiser and there appears to be an entry for John Andrews death, the date of the paper is 3 August 1839. Also I found in the Hampshire Chronicle 25 April 1808 that John Burrow, Esq. of Wedmore, Somerset married Jo Charlotte, second daughter of Major Andrews of Henley, near Whitechurch, at Hursbourn Priors, in this county. His daughter Augusta who married John Butt in 1833 said on the census that she was born at Henley so I think that Charlotte must be her sister.
    Could I please ask for a look up of these two newspapers items.
    The British Newspaper Archives website says in its Terms and Conditions:

We are also happy for you to help out other people by telling them about the newspaper archives and other information available on the website and how and where they can be found. However, you must not provide them with copies of any of the newspapers (either an original image of the newspapers or the information on the results page), even if you provide them for free.

https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/content/terms_and_conditions

Please accept my apology I hadn't read the Terms and Conditions and I should have.

This brick wall I have had now for more than 10 years, can anybody suggest where I might look next. We know that in 1823 his wife died in Houghton, it states wife of Major John Andrews, so he was still alive then. I would really like to find his death date. I can't find a marriage either for this couple.
    Thanks
    Michelle

Coromandel

The Hampshire Advertiser & Salisbury Guardian for 3 August 1839 is available via another source, namely the British Library 19th Century Library Newspapers collection. I hope that is permissible to quote from this, though I have to confess I haven't studied the small print on the Gale/Infotrac website.

Among the death announcements in this edition of the paper is this one:

'Died, at Weyhill, aged 77, John Andrews, esq., late Major of the North Hants Militia.'

The precise date of his death isn't given there, but the Gentleman's Magazine of July 1839 (on Google Books) fills in the detail:

'July 25. At Weyhill, aged 76, John Andrews, esq., late Major in the North Hants Militia, leaving a large family.'

Does this sound like the right chap? If so, this may be another child of his:

'Mr. H. Andrews, second son of Major A., late of the North Hants Militia, to Miss Weston, daughter of Mr. W. of Bristol'
    (reported in 'New Monthly Magazine' of Dec. 1814 in a list of marriages at Bath, Somerset).

Coromandel

From the London Gazette, 22 April 1800, on a list of 'Commissions in the Hants Militia, signed by the Lord Lieutenant. Dated March 17, 1800' :

'North Battalion'
    'Captain John Andrews, Esq.; to be Major, vice Frith.'

(Just in case you didn't know, 'vice' is Latin for 'in place of'.)

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    Also I found in the Hampshire Chronicle 25 April 1808 that John Burrow, Esq. of Wedmore, Somerset married Jo Charlotte, second daughter of Major Andrews of Henley, near Whitechurch, at Hursbourn Priors, in this county.
    Find A Grave has details of a memorial from Wedmore church to magistrate John Barrow [not Burrow] and his widow Charlotte Maria (d.1871 in her 85th year):

https://www.
    findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=59484667

An 1851 census entry is given there, with John Barrow's sister-in-law Martha Andrews (45, born Henley, Hampshire) among those in the household. Charlotte is shown as 64 and born in Hampshire. This would fit with the following baptism on FamilySearch:

Charlotte Maria Andrews, born 1 Sept. 1786 and bapt. 13 March 1787 Hurstbourne Tarrant, Hampshire, daughter of John & Jane.
    (batch no. C14667-1; film no. 1041368)

Another daughter of John & Jane, also baptised at Hurstbourne Tarrant (same batch/film nos):

Jane Louisa Andrews, b. 13 July 1785, bapt. 15 Sept. 1785

Thanks Coromandel The age would fit in with that of his wife Jane as she was born c 1765 and this makes his birth c 1763. If I get his death certificate will it say who his wife was? Any ideas on how would I find his large family?, when he moved around while in the army his family must have moved with him. Would there be any personal info about him being in the North Hants Militia, if so where would I look?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast