Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    saw119

Default Hawes from Tollesbury Parish Record Search

Can someone please help me out with a baptism record for a John Hawes born in Tollesbury, Essex in about 1796/7? The problem is that in the 1841 census it's like he appears from nowhere and there are no other Hawes in Tollesbury apart from his family. I have no idea who his parents were, where they came from or whether he had any brothers or sisters.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by saw119 View Post
    John Hawes born in Tollesbury, Essex in about 1796/7? The problem is that in the 1841 census ....
    Hi there,

A couple of questions:

How do you know that John was born in Tollesbury? What is your source?

If it is the 1841 census, there are a couple of things to remember: Ages of people aged 15 and over were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so he may have been born as early as late 1891 if his age is showing as 45. The other thing is that the place of birth is not shown - just a yes or no to whether they were born in the county where they were being enumerated.

If your source is something else entirely, then please ignore what I have just written about his appearance in 1841.

saw119

Yeah, maybe I should have made myself clearer. I know he was born around 1796/7 due to his age in the 1851 census which is adjusted from the '41 census (he is stated as being 40 in '41 but 54 in '51) also he gives his brith place as Tollesbury in the '51 census rather than just the 'born in this county' reply of the '41 census. It's just that I can't trace his family in Tollesbury because he is the only Hawes in Tollesbury so I am presuming that they came from outside there. Hoping that the parish records may record which parish his father comes from if he's not local to the Tollesbury area.

Mutley

I am sorry, I cannot find him.
    Have you tried looking on?
    'Seax - Essex Archives Online' Pay to view

In 1861 it does seem he may have been lodging with the Leaper family and I wondered if Mary may have been his married daughter.
    I cannot tie it in though, she seems to have been Mary Howard at marriage, close but not close enough.
    1861: RG9/1091, Folio 54, Page 6 (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Mutley

There is an interesting thread on the rootschat forum, you may have been involved in it, if not, you can google for it.
    Seems you are not the only one searching for 'Hawes from Tollesbury'

saw119

I'm helping my friend out, I have a little more experience of this kind of research than he does. We know just about everything post 1841 but it's that pre-census period that's eluding us. It's like he just appears from nowhere has some kids and then dies! I can find no siblings or even parents for him in Tollesbury yes he claims to have been born there.

Findem

Just a thought, have you checked out any Nonconformist registers?

I have ancestor and a couple of his siblings who according to Censuses were born in Great Leighs but no baptisms could be found there, eventually I found their baptisms at Braintree Congregational, the baptism entries mentioned that the parents were of Gt Leighs.

Regards.

Findem

Hi,

By way of a PS, the first child of the family I mentioned was baptised in St Mary the Virgin, Great Leighs, C of E as it was then, then the following three I mentioned baptised in Braintree Cong.

Regards

suffolk sue

From the Tollesbury registers.
    Marriage
    John Hawes
    Elizabeth Bowyer
    both single and of the parish
    by banns
    with consent of parents
    17th November, 1817
    witnesses
    David Rice
    Lydia Ffawd

saw119

So John Hawes is from Tollesbury according to the marriage record and parents were alive in 1817. Wonder why I can't find his birth anywhere or whether he had any brothers or sisters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast