Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fedup

Default 1946 marriage in Brentwood registration area

If anyone is at Essex Record Office, or may have the relevant fiches, I would be very grateful for full details of a marriage between William T Brocklebank and Betty R Matthams which is shown on Ancestry as 3rd Quarter 1946 in Brentwood registration district Vol 4a page 1056.

I have another Brocklebank who married a Matthams in 1903 in Essex, and as both are unusual names, I thought there must be a link, but have so far failed to find one. Parents' names of bride and groom, and witness names, might just give the answers.

Many thanks,

Fedup

Reputation beyond repute

You can order the marriage certificate from GRO.

Essex Record Office might be able to help if you knew that they married in Church (Church of England) and if you knew which specific church and if the registers have been deposited with the record office. They will have no record at all of register office weddings and only patchy records (if any) of non-C of E events.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp

fedup

Thanks for that, Peter

Fedup

pippycat

Fedup a 1903 Brocklebank for you.

William Alfred Brocklebank married Eleanor Mary Matthams Sept 1903, Dunmow, Essex 4a 1449

1911 census has:

Eleanor M Brocklebank b1878 Gt Waltham, Essex. Head, Married, but no husband listed.

Phyllis dau b1905 Banstead, Surrey

William son b1906 Norton Heath, Essex

Wright Selena Mother b1853 Gt Leighs, Essex Widow, Independent means.

Address: Alpha Villa parish: Broomfield, Gt Waltham, Essex.

Alongside Eleanors name, 7 years married 2 children (both still living) all been crossed through and next to
    Selena Wright, 5 children still living, 2 died also been crossed through with red pen.

Rebecca

marie b

hello there, the people you are looking for, William T Brocklebank and Betty R Matthams, they are my paternal grandparents who are sadly no longer with us.... is there anything in particular you were looking for?

fedup

Hi, I'm really grateful that you've got in touch on this one. I don't have Betty R Matthams in my Matthams tree (I'm nee Mathams), and was curious to find that a Matthams had married a Brocklebank in 1946, in addition to an earlier Brocklebank/Matthams in Essex in 1903. Neither name is common so I thought there could be a connection but can't establish where. The 1903 marriage was between William Alfred Brocklebank who was born in Torver Lancs, but moved to the Chelmsford area, and Eleanor Matthams who was born in Gt Waltham near Chelmsford. They had two children, Phyllis born 1904 Banstead Surrey, and William Alfred jnr born 1906 Norton Heath Essex.

Can you shed any light on the parents of William T Brocklebank and Betty R Matthams, please? Do you have William and Betty's marriage and birth details? That may help me establish the link. I believe that Eleanor and both the children went to live in Cheltenham after her husband's death on the Titanic in 1912.

Many thanks,

Jan

pippycat

Jan, have you got a Phillip James Matthams in your family? (d 1989)

While your waiting to hear from Marie, this might be a possible birth for Betty J Matthams
    Chelmsford Dec q 1933 4a pg902 - mothers maiden name: Hull

Phyllis Brocklebank possible marriage to Charles E Pearce Cheltenham June q 1924 6a pg980

Rebecca

fedup

Rebecca, Yes, I have Philip James Matthams born 26 Jan 1904, died 6 Jan 1989, son of Philip Matthams and Clorinda Dowdeswell. Also his marriage to Dorothy Alice Card, and their two children, Derek b1928 and Iris b1931. From recent info received, I believe Iris and her husband now live in Braintree?

I did wonder whether the indexes may have got the wrong middle initial for Betty Matthams, but the marriage to William T Brocklebank was in 1946, so she would only have been 13 at that point! Actually, just checked my tree, and I already have Betty J born 1933 fitted in nicely with her parents. Did wonder whether Betty R was widowed and previously married to a Matthams, but I have nothing that would fit that either.

I also show Phyllis Brocklebank married to Charles E Pearce, as a possible at the moment. He worked on the Queen Mary I believe. Curious that this family had such close connections with Atlantic crossings.

Jan

marie b

very little is known about my Grandmother as she was adopted into the Matthams family,nothing is known of her birth parents, but i will contact my father to see if he has any idea, annoyingly our family were quite secretive for some reason! i think my grandfather may have come from Southampton as my father remembers him talking about living there when he was a child.
    it might take a little while but i will bee what i can come up with for you!!

marie b

my father was born in 1956 and she was in her early forties, very late for a first and only child at that time! so i think the initial is wrong, i dont actually think she had a middle name!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast