Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marjorie

Default looking for locke family news

my dad was born in 1925 in stoke on trent..Frank courtney locke. his father was walter courtney parker locke , married to elizabeth , nee wood. I hear they may have been romany and that would really figure with me because I have such an affinity with romanys all my life although I never met my father or his family , I only recently stumbled on information about him and Im 56 now. does anyone have any news for me about these people?????

willow

Sorry, but I think your a little too late..

Name: Frank Courtney Locke
    Birth Date: 16 Feb 1925
    Death Registration Month/Year: Nov 2000
    Age at death (estimated): 75
    Registration district: Stoke On Trent
    Inferred County: Staffordshire
    Register number: D66F
    Entry Number:

Marriage
    Walter C P Locke ~ Lizzie Woods
    Year 1922 Qtr Dec Dist: Stoke T. Vol 6b Pg 523

Sue

Mutley

You probably have the birth for Frank, if not shout.

There are two births for Walter C Locke, at Stoke and Wolstanton, Staffordshire, one registered in the Jan-Mar qrt of 1926
    Mother's maiden name was Parker 6b/232

the other registered in July -Sep 1900 6b/26 (Mother's maiden name not given for births prior to 1912)

Father and son?

marjorie

thanks for the information..I knew he had died in 2000. I dont feel its too late..any news at all feels timely enough

Settling in

Hi Majorie

I too am researching Romany Lock / Locke's, so your post is of great interest to me if they are Romany Locke's.

I don't know if this fits in yet, but seeing the name Courtney being used in 2 generations, made me find this reference.

Charles George John Courtney Locke
    Marriage date: April 4th, 1838
    Newcastle Under Lyne, Staffordshire, England
    To: Mary Berry Wood

And considering the link to Wood(s), seems to suggest this reference just might fit in to your tree.

I have been transcribing Romany Lock(e) census records, here is what I have collected to date.

My Rom Lock ancestor migrated to the USA by 1728. My rare DNA also supports my Rom ancestry. To date, of all the 55 Lock(e)'s who have DNA tested, only the Romany Lock(e)'s are in Y Haplo Group H1a in England and the USA.

Donald Locke

marjorie

Hi Donald , thanks for that information , and sorry it took so long for me to get back on this.. busy busy.
    There's no doubt this is one of my Lockes. I'd heard that ' courtney' went through the generations. Im interested in finding out more about the romany side of things..I have no flesh on the bones of these people...All the best Marj

janieg

Default Lockes

Hi Donald thanks for the web link, hope you didn't mind me using it, in the first paragraph my Great Grandfather appeared, I would like to know if the DNA testing can be done on male and female lines of the family as my roots obviously come from Somerset Locke via Noah etc but through my Grandmother Hilda May would it work if I had mine tested?
    J

janieg

Default for Marjorie

I have a large amount of data on Lockes in my family tree on Genes reunited.
    If it would help you are welcome to have access to it if you are registered on there.

marjorie

Default lockes

Hi, thanks for that. I'm not paid up with genes reunited so I'm not sure if I can see your locke family details. It's a while since I was on that site so I dont remember how it works. I'll go and check it out. I see you are in southsea. I lived in Portsmouth before moving to ireland. But as far as I know my Lockes came from staffordshire. Are you a romany Locke?

tidos

Ive done a bit of family history for a friend about the Locke's what i found out is that they changed there name because the police where after them they are in fact part of the Boswell family they got their name because they where good at picking locks the ones I looked at are from North Wales and are related to the Woods hope that will help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast