Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas SUTTON

gaelwyn

Default Thomas SUTTON

Hi all,

I'm still stuck on my GG grandfather, Thomas Sutton. In 1854, he married Sarah Harmond (Harman) in Windsor, NSW. He was a Shoemaker. They had 4 children from 1854 to 1863.
    He died 29 May 1883 aged 78yrs. That would make him 48yrs old when married. Details were written unknown, except was Wesleyan, born England and occupation Bootmaker or something similar as writing hard to read.

Most trees have his birthdate as 12 June 1805 in London. Have found a baptism that matches:

Name: Thomas Sutton
    Baptism/Christening Date: 30 Jun 1805
    Baptism/Christening Place: Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England
    Father's Name: James Sutton
    Mother's Name: Mary Sutton
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03680-1
    System Origin: England-EASy
    Source Film Number: 1596132
    Reference Number: it 2

Biggest dilemma involves his arrival in Australia
    Some say he arrived in 1850....that Thomas was only 20yrs old, so not a match

There are 2 convicts I can match: 1. on 'Asia' transported for life in 1827 from Middlesex aged 18yrs...age doesn't quite match :-( Think he got Ticket of Leave in 1837.
    2. James alias Thomas...from Norfolk aged 20yrs in 1825....transported 1st time in 1827, escaped then caught and sent again in 1837.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Cheers from Gail

Ken_R

What names were given to the children? Often children's names can suggest the names of grandparents.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Who reported the death. In the UK ages on a death certificate are purely to the best knowledge of the person reporting the death.
    The baptism you have found relies totally on the age at death being accurate.

In order to attribute any birth to him you do need some extra evidence. Did he leave a will ?
    Did he belong to a local shoemakers guild ? If so he would need to have been indentured(apprenticed), presumably in England.

On a quick search on the 1851 census I found 75 Thomas Suttons born 1805 +/- 5 years.

Coromandel

Hi Gail

Are you certain that the Thomas Sutton who died in 1883 is the same one who married in 1854?

The reason I ask is that I note that the last known child you have for Thomas & Sarah was in 1863 . . . and there is a Thomas Sutton who died that year. The Sydney Morning Herald, 10 June 1863, in the Windsor news section, has the report of an inquest held at the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society's Institution. This Thomas Sutton was 31 years old and 'a native of Surrey, England'. He had worked for Mr Elliott, coach proprietor, 'and was stationed at the White Hart Inn, Windsor Road, to attend to the coach horses.' He died of burns after his clothes caught fire when he was trying to lift a pot from the fire at the White Hart.

Here's another earlier reference to a Thomas Sutton in the Windsor area, from Trove:

'WINDSOR POLICE REPORT. Tuesday, Jan. 13. Thomas Sutton - having been absent from his district without a pass, was admonished and discharged.'
    Hawkesbury Courier and Agricultural and General Advertiser, 15 January 1846.

Edit: I just re-read your original post and see the one who died 1883 was a bootmaker which does fit with the occupation in 1854. So I am probably barking up the wrong tree completely with the 1863 death.

The Thomas mentioned in 1846 might be worth pursuing, though. If he had to get a pass to leave his district, does that mean he was a ticket-of-leave man?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by gaelwyn View Post
    James alias Thomas...from Norfolk aged 20yrs in 1825....transported 1st time in 1827, escaped then caught and sent again in 1837.
    Just to clarify things, I think Norfolk is the name of the ship he came on, not the place he came from. See

https://www.
    forum.familyhistory.uk.com/archive/index.php/t-20950.html

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    What names were given to the children? Often children's names can suggest the names of grandparents.
    Childrens names were : Sarah (wife's name), Emma, Thomas and Albert

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    Who reported the death. In the UK ages on a death certificate are purely to the best knowledge of the person reporting the death.
    The baptism you have found relies totally on the age at death being accurate.

In order to attribute any birth to him you do need some extra evidence. Did he leave a will ?
    Did he belong to a local shoemakers guild ? If so he would need to have been indentured(apprenticed), presumably in England.

On a quick search on the 1851 census I found 75 Thomas Suttons born 1805 +/- 5 years.
    The Superintendent of the Hawkesbury Benevolent Asylum was the informant. Sarah had died after childbirth in 1867.

Descendents of his have birth date as 12 June 1805, as do several pioneer books.

If he was the convict from the 'Asia" then he was originally an errand boy, so trained here. Don't know if there is a shoemakers guild in oz!!

gaelwyn

Hi Coromandel,

The problem is that the name is fairly common. Several convicts came out, but I've checked their ages and only the 2 I'd mentioned had seemed to match.
    James/Thomas had been 20 in 1825 but 42 in 1837 when recaptured in England.

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Just to clarify things, I think Norfolk is the name of the ship he came on, not the place he came from. See

https://www.
    forum.familyhistory.uk.com/archive/index.php/t-20950.html
    Sorry, yes meant on the 'Norfolk'

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thomas Sutton born Fordingbridge 1805
    I could not find him on any census
    I did find however two Thomas Sutton deaths in Fordingbridge 1909 and 1919

You need to look at the parish records to eliminate these deaths and find out what you can on this Sutton family
    It is possibly easily to eliminate him than prove it, however if you cannot eliminate him, by definition he becomes a stronger candidate

this link might help

https://wildes.net/hampshire/index.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast