Thread: Tasmanian bdm

Loves to help with queries

Default Tasmanian bdm

I cannot find online access to bdms in Tasmania. Interested to see what happened to Henry Bamford, convict arriving Jan 1843 from Leicester, UK, Cert of Freedom 1847, but know nothing after that. Thank you, Linda

Procat

I was unable to find a death of a Henry Bamford in the Tasmanian indexes to 1930. Perhaps he went to another State.

I have also moved this to the Australian section of the forum.

Procat

I see on another site there is a thread referring to him as Henry Bamkin and that he may have gone to Victoria. I was also unable to find a death in Tasmania or Victoria for either name.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is this Him?

Henry Bamkin - a 'stocker on'
    Civil parish: Whitwick
    Hundred: West Goscote

HO107; Piece: 596; Book: 18; Civil Parish: Whitwick; County: Leicestershire; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 30; Page: 12

A Mary BamPkin a few doors away aged 37.

(crown copywrite TNA)

Do you know his parents names, there are one or two deaths but needs parents names.(Anc'y)

Please ignore, just seen his trial date of 1840 aged 18. Transoprtation for 7 yrs.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    I see on another site there is a thread referring to him as Henry Bamkin and that he may have gone to Victoria.
    Further to this : That thread is current and one contributor has suggested a death in England as Henry BAMKIN in 1903 at the age of 81. This age looks good. A further comment states that he would not have been able to return to England with a conditional pardon. I'm not sure I agree with this as a conditional pardon to a person with a seven year sentence would have allowed him a return once he had become Free by Servitude so he would have been able to return after his time was up. He would have to have paid for his own passage in either money or labour. (A Life sentence convict needed an Absolute Pardon to return as a Conditional Pardon wasn't sufficient.)

Jane