Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomas SUTTON

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    Thomas Sutton born Fordingbridge 1805
    I could not find him on any census
    I did find however two Thomas Sutton deaths in Fordingbridge 1909 and 1919

You need to look at the parish records to eliminate these deaths and find out what you can on this Sutton family
    It is possibly easily to eliminate him than prove it, however if you cannot eliminate him, by definition he becomes a stronger candidate

this link might help

https://wildes.net/hampshire/index.htm
    Thank you for that information. It eliminates the Fordingbridge Thomas. Thanks for the link.

Back to the drawing board, hahaha

Problem is that the convicts won't be on censuses, as before 1841. Checked out freereg, freecen and familysearch without much luck. No-one I've contacted seems to know when he arrived.
    Best give up as I've been at this for a while :-(

Brick wall demolition expert!

In 1824 a Thomas Sutton aged 17 was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey for theft.

It could be that this was commuted to transportation for a long period which could then mean release before his marriage.
    Perhaps he learned shoemaking in prison ?

Just a theory. Worth a look on the Old Bailey site.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/

gaelwyn

In 1824 a Thomas Sutton aged 17 was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey for theft.

It could be that this was commuted to transportation for a long period which could then mean release before his marriage.
    Perhaps he learned shoemaking in prison ?

Just a theory. Worth a look on the Old Bailey site.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/
    That's the Thomas who came out on the 'Asia' The age is slightly off, but he seems the likeliest.

NSW Government Gazette
    February 28, 1836
    List of runaways
    Sutton Thomas , Asia, 28, London, errand boy , 4 feet,
    I I 1/2 inches, fres comp., dark brown hair , dark hazel eyes,
    from G. Ross, George-street , since February 28.

From Familysearch:
    name: Thomas /Sutton/
    birth: 12 Jun 1805
    St Bartholomew's, Exchange, LONDON, ENG
    death: 1883
    WINDSOR, NSW

Marriages (1)
    spouse: Sarah /Harman/

marriage: 23 Mar 1854
    WINDSOR, NSW

Cheers Gail

Sadly, your find on Family Search is from a user submitted tree.

You know the death and marriage are Ok because you have proven those.

I cannot find the birth that the user has attributed to him. There are many user/member submitted records on what was the IGI, the accuracy of these can be questionable. If you can find the birth described above and match it to a deportation then you begin to prove it.

gaelwyn

Sadly, your find on Family Search is from a user submitted tree.

You know the death and marriage are Ok because you have proven those.

I cannot find the birth that the user has attributed to him. There are many user/member submitted records on what was the IGI, the accuracy of these can be questionable. If you can find the birth described above and match it to a deportation then you begin to prove it.
    Thanks, I have tried to confirm that birth as well. If you can't, then it's definitely questionable.

Without buying all the known death certificates for a Thomas Sutton, then suppose I'll never be certain. That's the problem with following others tree submissions. If they don't provide the proof of registration, then I'm sceptical, hence the search.

Did find out that Messrs Geo. Ross & Co., from whom Thomas had absconded, were providores for the shipping companies.
    Pity not shoemakers, hahaha

Searching for St Bartholemews I could only find one at West Smithfield in London, not on the IGI

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=470

On the 1841 census I could find two Thomas Suttons of the right age but all it tells is that he was born in middlesex.
    Neither appear on later census

gaelwyn

Searching for St Bartholemews I could only find one at West Smithfield in London, not on the IGI

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=470

On the 1841 census I could find two Thomas Suttons of the right age but all it tells is that he was born in middlesex.
    Neither appear on later census
    Thank you for the link. It's all so interesting about the churches in London. One ancestor was christened in the church from the nursery rhyme "Oranges and lemons", the one with the bells.
    St Bartholomews-by-the-Exchange is the one I think that they meant.

'St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange was a church in the City of London located on Bartholomew Lane, off Threadneedle Street. Recorded since the 13th century, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, then rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren. The rebuilt church was demolished in 1840.' From wikipedia :-)

If no free immigration by either of those Thomas's can be found, then I'm going to stop banging my head against this brickwall, hahaha....getting a headache!!! He can be filed with Edward W.B Bell, my other bw.

Cheers

gaelwyn

Default Thomas SUTTON

Hi all,

I have been searching, surmising and probably flogging the proverbial dead horse, but I'm dogged in searching for information on my Gx3 Grandfather.

Death certificate of 28 May 1883, in Hawkesbury Benevolent Asylum gives age as 78yrs. No other information is given about family or when arrived in colony, apart from born in England and a widower. Occupation was Boot?????. Trouble reading the rest of word
    Buried Wesleyan cemetery McGraths Hill
    He married Sarah Harmon (Harmond on cert) on 23 March 1854 in Windsor Wesleyan Church by Joseph Oram. Witnesses : John Gillard & Isabella Bushell. She died in childbirth 1867. Also buried in Wesleyan cemetery.
    Sarah Sutton was born 2 July 1855 - fathers occupation : Shoemaker

Are there any Censuses or Electoral Rolls for the period before or after his marriage, just to locate him and or his shop??
    Don't know when he arrived in the colonies...pioneer histories and numerous family trees have him born 1805 in London, baptised St Bartholomews-by-the-Exchange.
    Was he a convict or free settler??

Gail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12