Matson

Default John Young and Mary Douglas - Nelson NZ

Hello -

John and Mary Young arrived in Nelson NZ at the end of 1842.

Until recently I had no information at all about them at all - the passenger list supplied by the Nelson Settlers database has their arrival on the 'New Zealand' from Cumbrae, Renfrewshire in Scotland. John is listed as aged 25 (1817) and a blacksmith whilst Mary was aged 24 (1818).

I have been banging my head against the proverbial since.
    I have a promising young couple, aged 25, registered on the 1841 Census for Renfrewshire - Pailsey High Civil Parish and living at 39 Canal Street. Is this them....I wonder?
    I am unable to locate any Scotish registrations for births or marriages.

I note that there is a James and Elizabeth (Shanks) Young in the 1841 Census who live in an adjacent street (Storie) who might be parents of John - perhaps..............

Having found John's date of birth I have ordered his NZ (digital) death certificate which should offer some useful information but I wonder if anyone reading this might like to have a go at tracing them, please, including Mary Douglas. On the same passenger list there was also a Donald and Mary Douglas and infant. Donald was aged 30 years and a blacksmith like John Young.

Thanks for reading this - I hope you can help.

Regards
    James

jack66

hello, have you looked at
    www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

this site contains info and original census images from 1841 to 1911, which includes amongst other things birth, marriages and deaths. also have a look at
    https://www.nas.gov.uk/doingResearch/NASrecords.asp
    which is the National Archives of Scotland website

good luck

Matson

Thanks Jack - no luck, I'm afraid.

James