Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Who was Patrick AISLING?

I have bought a house this week(or at least a part share of one).
    It is at least 1875 and is located on the northern side of Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

I am intrigued by the under stair cupboard door, which is ancient, and has never been painted except for the name and date:
    Patrick Aisling 15/12/96 on the inside.

The name means nothing to the neighbour who has been there for 30 years. I therefore suppose the name is victorian.

But I can't find any record of a Patrick Aisling!

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Mitch

pennydog

Have you looked at each census for your address to see who is living there? which could give you a starting point.

I cannot see any Patrick Aisling (could Aisling be a girl's christian name?) on any census.

A quick google gives = Aisling is an Irish language feminine given name meaning "dream" or "vision"

Coupled with Patrick it could be you are looking for an Irish couple/family
    Last edited by pennydog; 08-04-2012 at 7:47 PM. Reason: extra info added

Thanks.
    I have done a census hunt.
    Unfortunately the street has been renumbered at some time.
    The current number does not even appear in the 1911 so it has been fairly fruitless.

I am now looking for a Patrick & Aisling connection in Ilkeston....

malcolm99

Mitch, Aisling would have been an incredibly rare name in 1896, not to say close to non-existent, whereas it's become fairly popular in recent years/decades.

Are you really sure it couldn't actually be 1996?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

May have been the chap brought in to paint indoors by a former tenant, who didn't expect the resident to look behind the understair cupboard door.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Maybe as suggested they are both first names and Patrick and Aisling "got together" in the understair cupboard and recorded the date as a future reference.

Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

Patrick Aisling 15/12/96 on the inside
    It could be 1996 not 1986. The twentieth century was the one where most dates were abbreviated but this may have started sooner.
    Older dates always seem to have the full year. I cannot find anywhere on the web to tell when the practice started.

Think you may all, disappointingly, be right. There goes my idea of a bit of history. I'm going to double check with the neighbour as to any Patricks. I suppose the door could have been rescued from elsewhere, but it is a perfect fit (and no wall is straight in this house)!

Thanks for all your help

Mitch

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    It could be 1996 not 1986. The twentieth century was the one where most dates were abbreviated but this may have started sooner.
    Older dates always seem to have the full year. I cannot find anywhere on the web to tell when the practice started.
    I was wondering about that last night but I've just checked one of my ancestors and certainly Hackney Union Workhouse in the late 19th century was using the form 'Date of Admission 23.6.97 Date of Discharge etc 28.6.97". The columns are narrow and this may have been the reason the practice of foreshortening dates started in the first place.

Michael Duke

I have a Asling family in Newark, any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast