Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Miller

Default Records of Bakers in London 1840 to 1891

Hi

My 2 x great grand father John Goodey (sometimes spelled Goody) and his father Richard Goodey were both Bakers throughout the period 1840 to 1891.

When Richard Goodey (born about 1818 in Mongwell Oxfordshire) married his cousin Mary Goodey on 15 July 1840 at St. Mary's church, Newington, Surrey his occupation was Baker, on the 1851 Census he is living in Islington occupation Baker, in 1861 he is living in Bethnal Green occupation Baker. In 1871 he is living in Poplar and now his sons John age 21 and Robert age 16 are also working as Bakers along with him.
    In 1881 Richard is now age 63 still with the occupation Baker and still living with his wife Mary at 98 Bakers Row Mile End New Town.

Robert didn't continue with in the Baking trade but John did and is working as a Baker and living in Clerkenwell in 1881 with his wife Mary Ann and their first son John age 1 and 1891 he is living with his wife Mary Ann in St. Pancras with their children and still working as a Baker.
    John died later the same year of Pneumonia. His father Richard Goodey was in the workhouse in 1891 still described as a Baker . He died there in 1895.

I am interested to know if there are any rercords of registration for Bakers living and working in London?

Best wishes

Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Me too, try here.

https://www.
    bakers.co.uk/
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Julie.Spavins

Hi there Richard and Waitabit,

Did you have any luck finding records, I've just discovered several generations of Bakers in London and the surrounding areas, from my Great Grandfather back to my 3 x Great Grandfather, starting in Buckinghamshire, then moving into London, from the early 1800's onwards to at least the 1920's.

It would be great to find out more about their work and working lives,

Julie

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have been writing a short article about my grandfather who was a baker in the last century and have been searching for records of that time.

I would really recommend anyone interested in the working lives of bakers to go and read the House of Commons report identified in the "More Baking Sites" post in this forum.

I thought my grandfather had a hard life carrying sacks of flour weighing 140lbs, but in the 18th century they were 280lbs. Today they are 35lbs!

Cheryl Jones

My great grandfather Stephen William Jones (born somewhere in the London area about 1862) was enumerated as a baker in the 1891 census, a member of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). His father Frederick Jones (source: Stephen's marriage registration in 1890) was listed as a baker, but was deceased at the time of Stephen's marriage.

I visited the recommended sites last night, and still have quite a bit of research to do. I haven't been able to locate the correct Frederick Jones who was a baker, but believe that the more that I check out these sites, the better able I will be to connect another generation.

I am enjoying reading about others' research. You are all most helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jones View Post
    My great grandfather Stephen William Jones (born somewhere in the London area about 1862) was enumerated as a baker in the 1891 census, a member of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). His father Frederick Jones (source: Stephen's marriage registration in 1890) was listed as a baker, but was deceased at the time of Stephen's marriage.
    The pay per view site FindmyPast has original images of some army attestation papers, including a seven page document for a Stephen JONES, who enlisted into the 6th Dragoon Guards on 9 March 1886 aged 19. His birth place was given as Battersea, Surrey (now considered to be London). Sadly no next of kin is given, but a wealth of other information about his service is, including the fact that he had flags tattooed on both forearms, served in India, and was discharged in 1898. If you think this could possibly be your great grandfather (maybe his father was dead when he enlisted, hence the 'nil' for next of kin) then it might be worth investing in a few credits with FMP
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Have just realised that there is more information on Stephen William Jones here, so if anyone has further information it might be an idea to put it on that thread.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Cheryl Jones

Thanks, Sue!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Richard
    I don't know whether this message will reach you but fingers crossed. I was interested to read your post about your ancestor Richard Goodey being a baker . You said that in 1891 he was living with his wife Mary Ann in St. Pancras with their children and still working as a Baker.
    The reason I am interested is that I have German ancestors who lived in London for about 2-3 years before migrating here to Australia. He ( Frederich Menges) was also was a baker and I know at the time of his marriage in 1882 was living at 33 Warren st, District of St Pancras.
    Do you know whether bakeries were 1 man operations back then ? Perhaps our ancestors had dealings with each other.
    Also I note that John died of pneumonia. I suppose you are aware that there was a particular disease that effected bakers lungs ( cause by inhaling the flour ). My ancestor also died of this disease at a relatively young age
    regards
    Louise Kemp

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there, Our family baker was James Maton who wrote "Tricks of Bakers" about bad practices of bakers in 1820s, 1830s. However he was just as bad himself! Just wondering if there is any way to find more about journeymen bakers. Did they need to be registered etc? James came from the St Pancras area but also worked for the army as a baker, being sent to Malta and Sicily. Would there be records of this also?
    Thanks, Joan Douglas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast