Thread: Will of 1789

rwickins

Default Will of 1789

Through some miracle searching, I found the existence of a will that I have been searching tirelessly for. It seemed for a while that Thomas Wickens really wanted to keep me away from his will!

Having all of the details concerning this will (year, county, ref, series, ID, etc.), I set off for the Northamptonshire Records Office website for wills and probate records. I was hoping to be able to order it there online, but that didn’t happen. The NRO website stated that wills proved in the court of the Archdeacon of Northampton were on “microfilm for the period 1510–1724”. The will that I need is from 1789. Does this mean what I think it means? Will I not be able to request a copy of this will until it is put onto microfilm?

I live in New York and being unable to get to England in the near future I was hoping that wills worked like birth, marriage and death records and could be ordered and shipped to me here. Is that not the case? I tried to find an answer to my questions in previous posts and kept seeing references to York. Should I send off to York for the will?

I apologize if these questions sound silly! Thank you all for tolerating me.

Rachel

Reputation beyond repute

I think it just means they haven't been filmed. That doesn't mean they can't copy the will and send it to you. The may be restrictions in the interests of conservation but I think you'll have to ask them.

elaine webb

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...bate/index.htm

Hi Rachel,

Try the above link to order your Will. I'm no expert but I think you should just be able to order direct from York. Thanks to Geoffers, Super Moderator, I have just sent off for my first Will.

Once you are on the site go to the right side of the page and look for Leaflets/Forms and just follow the instructions. You will have to print off the form and complete it.

I wouldn't have thought you will have to wait for it to go on microfilm, but there again I'm still learning on here so perhaps a more experienced BG member will advise you.

Hope this helps a little.

Best wishes

Elaine.

Reputation beyond repute

Elaine

I'm afraid the Probate Service is no good at all for a 1798 will. Rachel says she knows where the will is. She's just worrying about whether Northants CRO will copy it for her.

elaine webb

Oooopps! Well I said I am no expert!! Just learning about searching for Wills at the moment and I'm excited about receiving my first Will in the post any day now.

I didn't think she'd have to wait for them to put on film though!

Thanks Peter, I still live and learn here on Brit-Gen

Elaine.

Reputation beyond repute

I think the film is a red herring

Colin Moretti

Hello Rachel

I think that they'll probably photograph it for you and supply an image as a jpeg file on CDROM, but it's more expensive, see
    https://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/...gital_copy.htm; the image quality is usually pretty good, depending on the original; I had some myself last year.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Moretti; 12-02-2009 at 6:55 PM. Reason: addition

rwickins

Thank all of you for your helpful replies! I actually believe that I understand this will business now and am very happy to think that I will be able to utilize them, and the information within them, more regularly from now on.

I have contacted the NRO concerning the will that I am looking for and hopefully I will have a response (and a will!) soon. Now that my confusion has subsided, I will spend the rest of the night celebrating my discovery.

Ladybird

Nothing to do with the Will, I'm afraid. Did I see that you were asking if anyone knew about Nora Wickens who married Edwin R Pressey. If so, he was my Uncle.

adale41 @googlemail.com for reply. April.

Ladybird

Default WICKENS & PRESSEY

My uncle was Edwin R Pressey who married Nora Wickens. Son Ian E Pressey born early 1928. Is this your family?