Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Obituary in a "high-brow' newspaper

A distant [3rd cousin twice removed] died December 23, 1972 and this notice was published December 24.

This paper does not seem consistent with my usual lot and I wonder why he was mentioned. Was there a special group of people who warranted such a notice? The newspaper was "The Times"

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Times has always been a traditional paper to place such notices - with the greatest chance of reaching most people who might be interested in the demise of the deceased. We put my father's death in there with a view to letting any of his former work or army colleagues know and also because he had moved home in the last few years of his life, even though we did not subscribe to the paper ourselves.

malcolm99

It depends what you mean by 'obituary'. To get an obituary in the Times the person would have had to be very well known at a national level, albeit just socially or in a speciaised field of work or achievement. A 'notice' of a death was just a paid-for 'advert' which anyone could get inserted in the paper.

One problem though, Colin, is that The Times wasn't published on 24.12.72 as it was a Sunday.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    It depends what you mean by 'obituary'. To get an obituary in the Times the person would have had to be very well known at a national level, albeit just socially or in a speciaised field of work or achievement. A 'notice' of a death was just a paid-for 'advert' which anyone could get inserted in the paper.

One problem though, Colin, is that The Times wasn't published on 24.12.72 as it was a Sunday.
    A couple of corrections to my original post:

1] The date of death was 23-12-1982 and was published the following day.

2] It was a death notice not an obituary - so presumably the information was very basic in content.

Thank you for explaining the difference.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    A couple of corrections to my original post:

1] The date of death was 23-12-1982 and was published the following day.

2] It was a death notice not an obituary - so presumably the information was very basic in content.

Thank you for explaining the difference.

Colin
    I cannot seem to find The Times archives in an on-line search. If someone can find it and tell me what was in that death notice I would be obliged. His name was James Widden.

Thank you

malcolm99

Unfortunately, that issue is not available on The Times Archive website. His will is mentioned in the issue for 16th May 1983 - £216,843!

Colin Rowledge

Unfortunately, that issue is not available on The Times Archive website. His will is mentioned in the issue for 16th May 1983 - £216,843!
    That seems a lot of money to me. Wonder how he got it - won the 'pools' or inherited from mummy?

His father died June 20 1928 - a Master butcher -estate value almost 5,000GBP
    His mother died 1974 - she never remarried
    He was an only child - married 1940 - had 1 child - spouse died 1995

No idea what happened to the son but he would appear to have been well taken care of, if still living in 1995

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    That seems a lot of money to me. Wonder how he got it - won the 'pools' or inherited from mummy?

His father died June 20 1928 - a Master butcher -estate value almost 5,000GBP
    His mother died 1974 - she never remarried
    He was an only child - married 1940 - had 1 child - spouse died 1995

No idea what happened to the son but he would appear to have been well taken care of, if still living in 1995
    Under "Latest Wills" in The Times of 18th March 1996 there is this entry:

Mrs May Widden, of Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire..........£628,187

Any relation?

Colin Rowledge

Under "Latest Wills" in The Times of 18th March 1996 there is this entry:

Mrs May Widden, of Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire..........£628,187

Any relation?
    Not sure. As the son born 1942 may still be alive and this lady could be his widow, I can't name names!!

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Too Late to edit. - so ignore post#9

The widow of James was Evelyn May Widden - formerly Handisyde. She died in the Apr. -Jun. q. 1995 in Dacorum Hertfordshire.

If this is the same lady as was the wife of James who died in 1982, the she more than doubled her money. Their son if alive was cetrainly well off!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast