exmouth

Default Shooting in Pontypool

Hi i have recently found out that my great great uncle VIctor Morgan shot his father.His father survived.It happened in Pontypool in april 1929.I was wondering if theres any newspaper article on this.Any help would be great thanks.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are two main sources for newspaper articles:

1. The British Newspaper Archive - this is a pay to view site -
    www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

2. Your local library will have access to on line newspapers

Megan
    Last edited by Mutley; 21-10-2012 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Edited Link to a pay to view site

Mutley

Sorry, I can only find the Times snippet which I believe you already have.
    At Pontypool on Saturday, Victor Morgan, collier's helper, was remanded in custody for a week on the charge of the attempted murder of his father, Charles Morgan, by shooting at him at a lonely mountain farm.
    There is a blog on the internet re Pontypool. It mentions a few other tragic events but not the shooting.
    However, the writer seems quite happy to receive emails and it might be worth sending one to ask him if he does know anything or knows which newspaper might have reported the event.
    Reminiscences of Old Pontypool in the 1930s and 1940s
    https://
    oldpontypool.wordpress.com/

The local papers - none of them on the British Newspaper Archive yet - are The South Wales Argus, The Pontypool Free Press. and for the South Wales area The Western MAil
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

exmouth

Thank you all for your help on this.Cheers

As promised, checked the Western Mail today in the local archives. Have found 4 articles from Victor's being found in Newport (15 Apr 1929), being held on remand and released on bail (29 Apr 1929).
    His release on bail did not indicate when he was to appear next in court. So, checked up to 17 May but had to call it a day.

Will PM you about getting these images to you

exmouth

Thank you very much.Lee