cheryl_uk

Default Virginia Esther Matthews Born 1861

I am trying to trace my 3x Grandmother. I have traced her second marriage to my 2x Grandfather, but she is entered as window with the Surname of Vincent.

I have the children from the marriage to Joseph Vincent (Vinsent)stating she is the mother but only puts her Christian names if it helps here is the details
    Name: Joseph Robert Vinsent
    Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Sep 1877
    Baptism/Christening Place: Boitkhana, Bengal, India
    Birth Date: 04 Sep 1877
    Father's Name: Joseph Thomas Vincent
    Mother's Name: Virginia Esther

Name: Eveline Esther Vincent
    Baptism/Christening Date: 17 Oct 1876
    Baptism/Christening Place: Bortakhana, Bengal, India
    Birth Date: 04 Oct 1876
    Father's Name: Joseph Thomas Vincent
    Mother's Name: Virginia Esther

I know Joseph Thomas Vincent was biorn in 1853 and Died in 1878

She married my 2xGrandfather William Francis Ralph in 1889 - 1890
    they had what I now know is 5 children

William Stanley Ralph DOB 1 Nov 1889
    Albert Percival Ralph DOB 26 Sep 1898
    Cyril Ignatius Ralph DOB 22 June 1894
    Daisy Ethel Amelia Ralph DOB 2 Feb 1892 (my Grandmother)
    Ivy ??? Ralph DOB ???

From here on I have all of the information

My Brickwall is Virginia Matthews' Birth Certificate, once I have that I can go back one more
    generation. If anyone can help me that would be great.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Chery_uk

Coromandel

On this Ancestry thread you say that Virginia Esther was born 09/04/1861 in Delhi, daughter of Alexander Maylark Matthews:

https://
    boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.asia.india.general/2349.1.2/mb.ashx

In case you don't already have the details, here are what look like marriages of three sisters, each described as daughter of Alexander Maylark Matthews:
    • Adelaide Constantine Matthews (aged 23, so born about 1861), married Alfred Edward Finnimore 6 Nov. 1884, Allahabad, Bengal
    • Cordelia Gertrude Matthews (aged 21, so born about 1865), married Broadbent St Aubyn Farnworth, 28 Dec 1886, Allahabad
    • Milvall Caroline Matthews (aged 17, so born about 1870), married Clarence Montague Farnworth, 26 Jan 1887, Allahabad, Bengal

(from FamilySearch)

terrysfamily

Also from FamilySearch

I realise this isn’t what you’re looking for, but could this be your Ivy?

Groom: Henry Eric Albert, Age: 21, YOB: 1901
    Bride: Ivy Vida Ralph, Age: 21, YOB: 1901
    marriage date: 10 May 1922, Dharmatiola, Bengal, India
    G/Father: Alfred Albert
    B/Father: William Ralph
    indexing project (batch) number: M75051-5, source film number: 527560

If it is at least you’ll have her second name and approximate year of birth.

Terry

Coromandel

Given the possible connection with Delhi, I wonder if this is another family member:

James MATTHEW, born 26 Nov 1868 Delhi and baptised 25 Dec 1868 Delhi, father's name Alexander MATTHEW, mother's name Wannah.

(FamilySearch)

cheryl_uk

Thanks for the info on Ivy it completes my Grandma siblings. I know it is the correct Ivy as I knew her when I was a child and she was married to Henry Albert. I know I have put Virginia Esther Father down as Alexander Maylark Matthews, but things that I have found out now puts doubt in my mind. If you do find anything to do with her I would be really greatful, I have been trying to sort this out for the past 10 years on and off, but now plan to dedicate my time to it.

cheryl_uk

I know about Alexander Maylark Matthews and that he was a soldier, but thing I have fund out now puts doubt in my mind, although I know there was a cousin of my Grandma, (daughter of Virginia) called Violet Finnimore and she had a son Ronald. So she must have married, one of Adelaides' sons, if it is her. When I trace Adelaides children, she had two sons they both seemed to have achieved great things in their lives and this does not seem correect with the Violet I knew, she only came to England in 1960's and from what I remember she was VERY VERY Old and of mixed race. Any information you can gleen from this I would be grteful to find out. Thanks for all your help I have been amazed with the response I have received so quickly. Cheryl

cheryl_uk

Thank you so much for this reply when I first received it I did not think it was correct as it did not have Virginia on it. I have recently received some new information regarding Adelaide Constance and she was married to Alfred Edward Finnimore on 6th November 1884. However th eonly diffrence is that they were married in Agra. So this is definatly the family, do you by any chance have the maiden name of Alexandrer Maylarks Wife. Do you know if he wa an apothercary, I have aslso been told has was a Master Mason. If yu think you might be able to help me with any of this I would be glad to pay you for your efforts.
    Regards
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    On this Ancestry thread you say that Virginia Esther was born 09/04/1861 in Delhi, daughter of Alexander Maylark Matthews:

https://
    boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.asia.india.general/2349.1.2/mb.ashx

In case you don't already have the details, here are what look like marriages of three sisters, each described as daughter of Alexander Maylark Matthews:
    • Adelaide Constantine Matthews (aged 23, so born about 1861), married Alfred Edward Finnimore 6 Nov. 1884, Allahabad, Bengal
    • Cordelia Gertrude Matthews (aged 21, so born about 1865), married Broadbent St Aubyn Farnworth, 28 Dec 1886, Allahabad
    • Milvall Caroline Matthews (aged 17, so born about 1870), married Clarence Montague Farnworth, 26 Jan 1887, Allahabad, Bengal

(from FamilySearch)