TonyHarrison1000

Default Richard Morrison - 18th century

I am afraid I am a newbie as far as India is concerned. However I am researching the Morrison family and two pieces of information lead me to believe Richard Morrison may have been involved at some time in India. I do not have a birth date for Richard but from the information I do have think it may well be about 1710. He married a Sarah ( born abt 1732 died 1802) and they had 3 children between 1759 and 1762 all born in Middlesex and all alive when he died.
    Richard died in 1780 in Edmonton Middlesex and according to "The History and Antiquities of Edmonton" his tomb in the churchyard is to Captain Richard Morrison. However in his will he leaves a diamond ring which "was presented to him by the Nabob of Arcot". He does not appear on any Army or Navy list so possibly he was with the East India Company. I have looked at the FIBIS datasets but to no avail.
    If anyone can advise me as to what steps I should take to investigate further I would appreciate it.
    Tony

Coromandel

Hi Tony

If you search the Access to Archives (A2A) database for the phrase "Richard Morrison" there are some hits for documents in the 'British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections':

These include ledgers, paybooks and journals for the ship 'Harcourt':
    Rated at 499 tons, 99 crew, 26 guns. Voyages: (1) 1752/3 Madras and China. Capt William Webber. Portsmouth 20 Jan 1753 - 5 Jun Johanna - 11 Jul Madras - 14 Sep Whampoa - 22 Dec Second Bar - 21 Mar 1754 St Helena - 31 May Downs. (2) 1755/6 China. Capt William Webber. Portsmouth 30 Jan 1756 - 11 Jul Acheh - 14 Aug Malacca - 25 Sep Whampoa - 2 Feb 1757 Second Bar - 28 Feb Malacca - 24 Jun St Helena - 29 Nov Downs. (3) 1758/9 Bombay and Mokha. Capt William Webber. Downs 23 Apr 1759 - 24 Aug Morendavia Bay - 3 Oct Bombay - 19 Nov Tellicherry - 29 Nov Anjengo - 20 Dec Tellicherry - 19 Jan 1760 Bombay - 5 Feb Surat - 21 Apr Mokha - 18 Sep Goa - 5 Oct Bombay - 6 Feb 1761 St Helena - 4 Jun Downs. (4) 1761/2 China. Capt Richard Morrison. Portsmouth 25 Mar 1762 - 12 Sep Whampoa - 3 Jan 1763 Second Bar - 14 Apr St Helena - 17 Jul Downs.

and some later ones for the 'Duke of Kingston':
    Built by Perry, launched 1765, 3 decks, 3in bottom, 676 tons. Principal Managing Owners: 1 Charles Raymond, 2 John Raymond. Voyages: (1) Madras and China. Capt Richard Morrison. Downs 19 Jan 1766 - 6 May St Augustine's Bay - 19 Jun Madras - 25 Sep Whampoa - 30 Jan 1767 Second Bar - 3 May St Helena - 22 Jul Long Reach. (2) 1768/9 Madras and Bengal. Capt Richard Morrison. Downs 25 Mar 1769 - 22 Apr São Tiago - 14 Jun Rio de Janeiro 21 Oct - 29 Nov Cape - 2 May 1770 Madras - 23 Jun Culpee - 11 Nov Ingeli - 8 Apr 1771 St Helena - 13 Jul Long Reach.

A2A gives catalogue reference numbers for the individual documents.

I don't have any experience of using these records. I'm sure others on the forum will be able to advise. In the meantime you could have a read of the British Library's guide to India Office Records:

https://www.
    bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecords/indiaofficehub.html

Coromandel

There was a newsworthy passenger on board the 'Duke of Kingston' on Capt. Morrison's return voyage in 1771:

'An elephant is brought home in the Duke of Kingston East Indiaman, said to be the tallest by eighteen inches of any ever seen in England.'

From Gentleman's Magazine (from Google Books again), reporting events in July/August 1771

TonyHarrison1000

Hi Cormandel Thank you very much for your help. I found Richard Morrison's will on the National Archives site, but did not think to look at A2A. So from the information about the Elephant we now know that Captain Richard Morrison was an employee of the East India Company. I will follow up the information you have provided and repost if I need more help.
    Tony