Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Georgina Mary Gill - Calcutta

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of my mother's birth certificate. I know she was born in Calcutta, in 1903, and I know her birth date, but when I contacted the British Library they have nothing there. My sister tells me she has never seen Mum's birth certificate. She was a Catholic so she would have been baptised at a Catholic church in Calcutta, so there should be ecclesiastic records - but I have searched high and low with no luck. I have looked at FIBIS and also Family Search, so wonder if the records dont exist.
    I honestly dont know where to look now and would appreciate any ideas from anyone out there. Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the Overseas Section of GRO?

Thanks for your suggestion, I did look at their site, but I thought that they wouldn't have this. I have been so despondent, but I think I will go back and at least send the details etc, after all its not as if its a fortune to get one, and if you don't ask - you won't know if you would ever get!!! So I will try that tomorrow. Thanks again. If it comes out positive I will be shouting on this site to let you know.

Reputation beyond repute

I think I may have rashly assumed that it was a military family. If it wasn't, then, as you say, there's less chance of GRO being able to help. Sorry if I misled you.

bjelkier

A note in the foreword of "Baxter's Guide" - Biographical Sources in the India Office Records. ...researchers needing assistance with their India-related enquiries may find it by joining the India List, a forum for exchange of information (https://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/IND/INDIA.html).

Could be worth a try.

Thank you for your posts, I much appreciate any bit of help I can get.

When I looked again at the GRO Overseas site I thought it might not be of help as my mother isn't from a military family (unlike my father) - but I think it must be either through the East India Company or possibly the Railways, as my father met her though the railway network and I remember her brother was something to do with the railway.

I will also look at the roots web site, I didnt know about that one. When I was a child in India I was away at school at Simla for nine months of the year, so I didnt get to know my family history, which is such a shame.

I will keep you posted if anything happens, or if I get anywhere with this one.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

One of the other threads in this India forum mentions that civil registration of births was not a requirement before 1947, so there will be no birth certificate. That poster had found the baptism registered with GRO in England.

Perhaps your mother was baptized where her grand parents lived.
    ChristineR

Thanks ChristineR
    Yes,- I was born in India and only have my baptism certificate, but my older sister cant remember where our mother was married, or baptised. My sister is over 80 now, (a lot older than me) so I have to forgive her for her loss of memory. When I next go over to see her, I will see if she can show me her baptism certificate as it might have the church that our mother was connected to in Calcutta. I will keep you posted of any updates. Many thanks.
    PS I am going to give the GRO a try, its worth anything to try to find this.

Jan1954

I knew that I had seen something...

Mr P's great something was born in India (Landour) in 1894. We have her baptism certificate, complete with reference numbers, that was issued in 1951. This is a foolscap piece of paper and has the seal of the Commonwealth Relations Office in the bottom left-hand corner.

At some point in 1951, one of the family has written to the Commonwealth Relationships Office in Whitehall for this and, accompanying the certificate, received a reply that states:

I am directed to inform you that, with certain exceptions (see overleaf), the registration of BIRTHS is not generally compulsory in India/Pakistan and it is consequently not always possible to obtain BIRTH certificates of children born in that country.

I am to add that certificates of BAPTISM, giving the date of birth, are usually obtainable, however, and to say that these certificates, when issued by this Department under the seal of the Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations are accepted by the Law Courts, the Army Council (in certain cases) and other public bodies in lieu of BIRTH certificates.

I hope that this adds a bit more to the pot.

Well, I sent the details to the GRO Overseas Section and have just received an email to say that they have looked through all their records and are unable to locate my mother, even though I know her date of birth and location. Im just at a loss as to where to search next. I have emailed the British Library and they cant find anything there, so it seems my search has come to that proverbial brick wall!! Yes, Im a member of FIBIS and have searched that, I also belong to our local Family History Society and cant get anywhere there either. Oh dear So I shall now go and get a nice cup of tea and think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast