mfwebb

Default Land Tax Redemption 1798

I apologise if this has been posted before and I have missed it.

Ancestry now has what it calls the "UK Land Tax Redemption 1798" searchable on-line. This is a Land Tax Assessment carried out in 1798 on land with a value of 20s or more; land valued at less than 20s was exempt.

From my exploration of these records the emphasis is on LAND so unless your ancestors were proprietors or occupiers of land they may not be there. I have a Webb ancestor in Ampthill Bedfordshire who was an innkeeper there in 1797 who is not listed.

I have Couldwell ancestors who were farmers in Thurgoland Yorkshire and they are listed. I have also been able to take a Howe family back one generation (provisionally) from these records. The family were farmers in Upper Hallam Yorkshire and I had them back to William Howe born in Upper Hallam in 1783. There is only one Howe in Upper Hallam in the records of 1798 -- John Howe occupying land owned by the Duke of Norfolk.

Good luck in your research.

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Knowledgeable and helpful

There seem to be two types of record, one lists just the proprietors and tenants and the other lists the names of the tenement which is really useful.

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    There seem to be two types of record, one lists just the proprietors and tenants and the other lists the names of the tenement which is really useful.
    Can you please point me to the record of tenements? The records I have found only record the names of proprietors and occupiers listed by County, Wapentake and Township/Parish. This list is searchable on that basis but a list of names of tenements would be really useful.

Many thanks,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Knowledgeable and helpful

I was looking at Cornwall. one book had an extra column which the other didn't - but for different parishes

Reputation beyond repute

I can't see what you mean. Can you be a bit more specific please?

The National Archives catalogue for IR 23 says

Tthe information given in the records comprises the name of occupier, name of proprietor (if not the same), amount assessed and date of redemption (where applicable), and the arrangement being by Land Tax parishes within counties. No details of the properties are given. The series also contains papers relating to the appeals of Roman Catholics against the 'Double Rate' Assessment imposed by 4 William and Mary, c. 1, and a selection of returns and quotas of later Land Tax assessments up to 1914.