Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post

In the case of an incident which at the time was presumably thought of as a criminal act - the verdict of the coroner's court (e.g. Unlawful killing), should be included in any surviving criminal case papers.

The evidence presented at a Coroner's Court would have been preserved and again be presented to a Criminal Court (and should be preserved) to try and establish the guilt of a suspected offender.
    Hi.
    Just lucked on to this thread

My grandmother's sister lost her 1st husband in Montana in 1914. The Coroner's report said "Miniing Accident". Cause of death was a fractured skull and broken neck.

When I receivied the copy of the death certificate [via email] the sender indicated that. in the Coroner's handwritten notes "there was insuffiicent evidence to prove a culpable act, but would record a verdict of "Accidental Death due to a Mininig Accident".

I have the following details :
    Site of Mine including Mine #
    Coroner's name
    Obit. notice from newspaper
    Death Certificate.

How can I proceed further to conclude that this was an "Accident"?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge
    My grandmother's sister lost her 1st husband in Montana in 1914.
    Different countries have differing standards and legal process. The response I made was for England and Wales - if may not be the same for Montana.

in the Coroner's handwritten notes "there was insufficient evidence to prove a culpable act, but would record a verdict of "Accidental Death due to a Mining Accident".
    Reading between the lines, the Coroner may be indicating that some evidence caused suspicion of fault, but suspicion is not proof. In something as contentious as that, I would think there might be a report in a local newspaper.

Perhaps an American forum member might be able to suggest a better way forward?

Colin Rowledge

Thank you very much. I will add to it soon.

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Colin

Try this the Library of Congress site - historic newspapers - https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Its free and very easy to use, and I found a report of a mining accident involving a relation of mine.

Megan

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thank you very much. I will add to it soon.

Colin
    Finding this stuff has been a nightmare, so please bear with me.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Finding this stuff has been a nightmare, so please bear with me.

Colin
    While I'm still 'digging' - his name was Arthur James Norman. His date of death was November 13, 1914. A funeral notice appeared in a local newspaper - as follows - A funeral service will be held at the residence of Mrs. Richard Collick, at 4 East Summit Street, proceeding to Mountain View Church for services. He was a miner and lived at 805 North Main Street.

The name is indicated in the newspaper as Arthur T. but the address on North Main Street was the address of his father-in-law, so this is definitely my Arthur James Norman.

The name of the person who organized the funeral and her address are unknown to me.

Colin