TonyHarrison1000

Default John Hale possibly abt 1711

John Hale was a Carpenter in 1728 he moved to St Albans where he became a freeman and there are records of him being master to 6 apprentices.
    Proof of the move is a Settlement Document dated 21 Dec 1728 addressed to the Churchwardens and overseers to the poor of Abbey Parish of the town of St Albans in the County of Hertfordshire
    "We the Churchwardens and Overseers of the poor of the Parish of Luton in the County of Bedfordshire by and with the consent of the Chief Inhabitants of same certify unto you that John Hale and Martha his wife are Legally Settled in Parish of Luton"
    John obviously either was born in Luton or was an apprentice with a master in Luton. I am trying to establish when he married Martha, where and what is her maiden name. Any information about either of them gratefully received
    Tony

Knowledgeable and helpful

FamilySearch has this marriage:

John HALE m. Martha TREAPE 9th August 1716 at St Catherine by the Tower, London.

Also this baptism:

Martha TREAP b. 16th July 1693 at St Catherine by the Tower, parents John TREAP and Elizabeth.

Both only possibles for your John and Martha, so you would need to see the images on film in the hope that they provided more info.

Peter

TonyHarrison1000

Default John Hale

Thanks Peter but I do not think this is them Martha died 1798 also she had 6 children in St Albans between 1730 and 1743
    Tony

janbooth

Ancestry have the PCC Will of John HALE the elder of St Albans, Carpenter, dated 4 February 1768 and proved at London on 3 May 1768, in which he mentions his wife Martha and children William HALE & Hannah HALE, making his wife Martha & son William Executors.

This would tie in with a William HALE of St Albans, Carpenter, who is taking on apprentices between 1770 & 1779. There is a PCC Will for a William HALE, Carpenter, dated 30 May 1816 and proved at London on 13 August 1816 is also available on Ancestry and mentions his nephews John & William HALE sons of his brother John HALE. It is a very long Will so I have only skimmed through it but it mentions various nephews and nieces which may help you to set out a family tree of your HALEs. There is also a John HALE of St Albans, Carpenter, who is taking on apprentices in 1784 & 1792, so he is perhaps the brother of William HALE. Also a PCC Will for a John HALE of St Albans proved in 1844.

However, I cannot find a likely baptism or marriage for a John HALE in my Bedfordshire Name Index. There is a baptism for a Jn HALE at Luton in 1610 and three burials for a John HALE at Luton in 1615, 1623 & 1626.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

TonyHarrison1000

Default John Hale

Thank you for your interest Janet. I do have all the information on the Hale family in St Albans. From the settlement paper I think it likely that the marriage had taken place in Bedfordshire but do not have any experience of searching there.
    Tony

Reputation beyond repute

All Bedfordshire pre-1812 parish registers have been transcribed. You can buy copies or view them at the record office or the Society of Genealogists library or try Family Search.

TonyHarrison1000

Default John Hale

Thank you for that Peter Have tried on Family search without success will look next time I am at SOG
    Tony