Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    That looks good for Richard's death.

I think the Richard travelling with grace is a red herring - in the 1910 US census ( at Family Search) a Richard S Johns and his wife Grace M are living in Marquette Michigan with mother in law MAry Wasley. They are also there in 1920 & 1930 so presumably just came back for a visit.

I haven't found a Dunn - Johns marriage yet to account for the brother-in-law perhaps if you could find him in an earlier census it might help.
    I agree that the death certificate looks promising. I also agree that the Richard and Grace is a red herring.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Hi Colin, hope you are having a good day

The simplest explanation is that this is a different couple so I looked to see if there was a younger Richard who might match this description. I wonder if the one marrying in 1912 might be the 20 year old Richard Johns (miner, tin) born Redruth who was at Bassett Terrace, Illogan Highway in 1911 with mother Sarah Maud Johns (42; she initially said she was married and gave her relationship to the head of household as 'wife', but this has been altered to 'Head'). Sarah said she'd been married 25 years and had had six children, four still alive. (This info on the length of marriage and no. of children has also been crossed out.) Besides Richard there are two other sons with Sarah at the time of the census, namely Percy (24) (is he the one who witnessed the wedding?) and S. Stanley (17) (RG 14/13994, ED10, SN21).

John Johns (tin miner) and Sarah are with sons Percy (14), Sydney (13), Richard (10) and Stanley (7) at 26 Falmouth Road, Redruth, in 1901 (RG 13/2239, f.9, p.10).

Richard's age of 10 in 1901 and 20 in 1911 would be a bit out compared with his age at marriage but not so much as to rule him out. What does the marriage certificate say about the name and occupation of his father and does that match with the one found on the census?

There's another bit of evidence that might suggest that the Richard & Elizabeth who married in 1912 aren't the ones who were leaving the country in 1913. If you search FreeBMD for births of JOHNS children with mother's maiden name EATHORNE you get one registered in the first quarter of 1916. I haven't checked to see if there is another Johns/Eathorne combo who could account for this birth registration. Why no more children? (Might be worth checking the Commonwealth War Graves site in case this Richard died in the war.)

Nothing conclusive but I hope this gives you some new ideas for research avenues.
    Yes I am having a much better day and in fact my whole disposition has improved over the past 2 or 3 days and definitely an improvement on the week ending April 14.

The couple that married in 1912 are certainly not mine. The witness - Percy - fits the above and the father was John Johns a Miner.

May I suggest that you not spend any more time on this particular line of enquiry?

Thanks for clearing that matter up.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

The Boston passenger list on Ancestry has names and addresses of the 'nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came'. For Richard this is shown as 'Father Mr Johns, Wheat For, Breege, Cornwall' and for Elizabeth 'Father Mr W. Thomas, 14 Wendron Street, Helston'.

So perhaps they are the Richard Johns and Elizabeth C. Thomas who married in the Helston district in the first quarter of 1913?

From the passenger list it seems that Richard's father was still alive when Richard emigrated. One candidate is the 76 year old Nicholas Johns at Wheal Vor, Breage, in 1911 (RG 14/13947, ED2, SN51). I didn't have time to check other censuses in detail but did see that on the 1871 census there is an 8 year old Richard Johns, scholar, born Breage, with 37 year old father Nicholas Johns, tin miner, at Penhale Downs, Breage (RG 10/2307, f.48, p.8).
    This is definitely more interesting than the idea I tried to 'ram down everyone's throat' that I put forth in the Cornwall County-wide forum thread that I started on December 29, 2011 entitled "No father named on birth certificate -- but -". Now I am the one choking!!

This marriage in the 1st quarter certainly coincides with their departure date. A whole new line of enquiry is opening up.

Meanwhile, regardless of who the parents of Richard Henry are and how arrived to the home of the Bray family when Susan Jane gave birth, my cousin is pretty convinced that Richard Henry was the father.

Now to follow that line of enquiry forward [or back-track as the case may be].

Thanks again for your assistance.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

From the passenger list it seems that Richard's father was still alive when Richard emigrated. One candidate is the 76 year old Nicholas Johns at Wheal Vor, Breage, in 1911 (RG 14/13947, ED2, SN51). I didn't have time to check other censuses in detail but did see that on the 1871 census there is an 8 year old Richard Johns, scholar, born Breage, with 37 year old father Nicholas Johns, tin miner, at Penhale Downs, Breage (RG 10/2307, f.48, p.8).
    Looking at 1871 census, Nicholas probably neede to be underground for some 'peace and quiet' as there were 12 children at home ranging in age from 16 years to a new-born.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Coromandel, you may be amused by this below - I was:

1911 census - Nicholas is still at Wheal Vor, Breage with whom appears to be now his 3rd wife. They are both in their 70's and have been married 8 years. Nicholas was very secretive about his past life. Here is how he describes himself - English born and no occupation - Nothing about his past whatsoever!!

I've had an amusing afternoon chasing him down

Off-line for a while now.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Have ordered the marriage certificate between Richard Johns and E#lizabeth Thomas - may be this one is correct.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Have ordered the marriage certificate between Richard Johns and E#lizabeth Thomas - may be this one is correct.
    I hope so, Colin. Fingers crossed.

Colin Rowledge

I hope so, Colin. Fingers crossed.
    The marriage certificate arrived today. And is the right one

Not only does it confirm Richard's father as Nicholas, but a witness to the wedding on March 17, 1913 was Laura Williams who before her marriage was Susan Jane Bray's sister.

He is indicated as a Miner which I presume he took to as even then it paid more than a labourer would earn when he resided with the Bray widow and was helping to raise Joseph Henry. We also know that within a very short period of time after their wedding they departed for Boston MA. and shortly thereafter, Laura, after dumping Mr. Williams went as well.

Now my $64,000 question is did Elizabeth die in the US and he returned at some point [which I have yet to find] and die in England or did they both reside for the rest of their lives in Boston?

Colin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123