• Sue Mackay post #26

1 3.23%
  • Sue Mackay post #27

0 0%
  • lesleys post #28

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Jan1954

Default Spring Competition - AND THE WINNER IS....

Over the years of researching, I have had the opportunity to visit many graveyards and cemeteries. I love reading the inscriptions on the graves – some are poignant, but others show that a sense of humour lurked beneath the sadness.

This competition is about the latter.

This is your chance to either post the most amusing Memorial Inscription that you have seen – or even make one up!

Votes will be cast after the closing date of Monday 9th April 2012, at 7:00pm (BST) through the setting up of a poll, with a further week being available for you to cast your vote.

The prize is a copy of Discover Gloucestershire Ancestors.

After 20 years of researching at Gloucestershire Archives, Elizabeth Jack decided to share her expertise and has written the first volume of Discover Gloucestershire Ancestors , which is a guide to using the archives, and a book that can help the researcher trace all the basic records as well as many of the lesser known documents that exist locally.

Even if you do not have ancestors in Gloucestershire, the information, hints and tips in this book will be of the most valuable assistance to anyone searching Archive records.

So, for a chance to win this great book, all you have to do is post an amusing Memorial Inscription on this thread. You can submit up to three entries each.

I look forward to reading them!

I believe it was Spike Milligan who asked that "See, I told you I was ill!" should be on his gravestone. Apparently when his executors tried to have this they were told it would not be allowed so they had an inscription in the Irish Gaelic which was acceptable.

The translation reads "See, I told you I was ill"
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

jeeb

The most amusing inscription I have read was on a gravestone in the original churchyard of St John in Bedwardine, Worcester. This was an old memorial stone and sadly disappeared several years ago when the majority of the gravestones were removed. Unfortunately I can't remember the name on the memorial but the verse read:-

**** free where ere you may be, because farting not was the death of me.

I often wonder what was the real cause of death!

Jeremy

Colin Rowledge

Whenever I travel into the U.S. if, on an overnight stop, there is a small rural cemetery nearby, I'll take a stroll through it. Just curiousity, but they hold a facination!!

In Arkansas, in early 1970, I stopped at a rural motel and diner. No T.V. but good beer [for American]. I aked the waitress what one did of an evening - and she gave me the 'come hither look'. She was nice but I declined the offer!! With a 6-pack, I left and in the parking lot was a chap who noticed my Ontario plates and we got to chatting. After killing most of the 6-pack, he told me about the local cemetery.

There was an interesting site. 2 graves, side by side, and between a large plaque. Each grave had a similar headstone. On one it read "Here lies Lester Duguid - 1834- 1859". Next to it, the other read "Here lies Webster Duguid - 1834-1859".
    The large plaque had the following inscription - "2 brothers - born together, lived together, fought together and died together. Neither lived up to their name. Erected in their memory by members of the family who hope for better things". It was dated 1890.

I had to leave the next day and couldn't follow it through and since then haven't been back to Arkansas.

This, to me, exemplies a very dry sense of humour of a family who originated in the U.K. possibly Scotland - but is also poignant in the message that it delivered to later generations of the Duguid family.

Colin

deeree

How about this one:

Here lies an athiest,
    All dressed up and nowhere to go.

deeree

And another one:

Here lies Barnard Lightfoot
    Who was accidentally killed
    In the 45th year of his age
    This monument was erected by
    his grateful family.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Whilst at my wifes Grandfathers funeral in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, we had a wander around the gravestones......as you do.
    We came across this line, engraved on the bottom of the gravestone.

'If whisky be the food of life, why am I here'.

Mutley

Anna Hopewell's grave in Enosburg Falls, Vermont has this epitaph:

Here lies the body of our Anna
    Done to death by a banana
    It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
    But the skin of the thing that made her go.

Jane Elderfield

This is the way I remember an epitaph from a book by "Norris" of the Vancouver B.C. Sun newspaper, probably in the 1950's:

Here lies Herbert De Witt Wright.
    He read too much, and died of fright.

--Jane Elderfield

Thomasin

Here lies the body of Mary Ann Lowder
    Who died after taking a Sedlitz powder.
    If she'd waited until it had effervesced
    She wouldn't have gone to her heavenly rest.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast